Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-18-2008

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
GPS mounting hardware

I have a Garmin GPS-17(? something) and it comes with a base that has some kind of pipe thread on it so you can mount it on top of a piece of pipe. I tried matching it to a piece of pipe I already had and the threads seem to be different, so, the simple question ... is this a standard kind of pipe thread that I can get at lowes or some place or do I have to get it $pecial order ?

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-19-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
I have a Garmin GPS-17(? something) and it comes with a base that has some kind of pipe thread on it so you can mount it on top of a piece of pipe. I tried matching it to a piece of pipe I already had and the threads seem to be different, so, the simple question ... is this a standard kind of pipe thread that I can get at lowes or some place or do I have to get it $pecial order ?
Search doesn't show up anything - the only units I could find were 15 then they went up to like 60 or so...you should be able to call them up directly... or do the Red-Green solution - duct tape it...

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 01-19-2008

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
I got so excited someone responded to this question I spilled my drink.

Jody, yes, I did call Garmin and got some more information. They said it was some kind of a marine thread that I guess is standard ? The sales person really didn't know much about it, but he told me it was a standard kind of mount that they sell at West Marine to mount GPS units. If I can find out exactly what it is I'll try to find an adapter or something, but it is starting to sound like some kind of marine $pecific thing.

Please support my
Old 01-19-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
I got so excited someone responded to this question I spilled my drink.

Jody, yes, I did call Garmin and got some more information. They said it was some kind of a marine thread that I guess is standard ? The sales person really didn't know much about it, but he told me it was a standard kind of mount that they sell at West Marine to mount GPS units. If I can find out exactly what it is I'll try to find some kind of an adapter or something, but it is starting to sound like some kind of marine $pecific thing.

LOL.. well I spilled a drink! That counts for reputation right... What they are most likely talking about then:

crapola... I could only find:

as a mounting option...

do you have an image of the current mount or interface to the mount? You may be able to go a local marine shop - the only issue you would have is the threads - they have to be matchable..to something or else you cross thread it (considering wire runs in between) and just epoxy the joint..

Another consideration is checking a computer outlet like Best-Buy or something... you may be surprised...

S/V "
" -

Old 01-19-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbyjody View Post
do you have an image of the current mount or interface to the mount? You may be able to go a local marine shop - the only issue you would have is the threads - they have to be matchable..to something or else you cross thread it (considering wire runs in between) and just epoxy the joint..
Yes, see it looks like this ...

It has threads on the bottom so it is supposed to kind of screw on to the top of a piece of pipe, but the threads don't seem to match any normal pipe I have. So that's what I'm trying to figure out is just where to get the pipes. This sales person at Garmin is saying West Marine has it, so I guess I will check there. But I have my doubts ...

Edit, here I found a better picture, see, it's supposed to do something like this ...

Please support my

Last edited by wind_magic; 01-19-2008 at 02:32 AM.
Old 01-19-2008

The mount I posted may then be the answer...that was a rubber cap on it...its called " Rail Mount GPS Holder" and I bet they do have a mount solution for it as they sell a ton of Garmin as its cheaper than any other solution out there...

S/V "
" -

Old 01-19-2008

Well thanks for the response Jody, I'll take a look at that one you posted.

Please support my
Old 01-19-2008

Quote:
Well thanks for the response Jody, I'll take a look at that one you posted.
Oh if you strike out - ask them about the Raymarine connections - I threw mine away as I flush mounted it - but - it maybe the same size for the threads I think...if West Marine has any stock they'll have no probs pulling it out for you to try...

S/V "
" -

Last edited by artbyjody; 01-19-2008 at 03:11 AM.
Old 01-19-2008

thekeip is on a distinguished road
Read the manuals, folks.
It's a standard 1x14.
Keip
Old 01-19-2008

billangiep is on a distinguished road
Wind, I believe your looking for something similar to this. There is a slot cut in the threads to allow the antenna wire to pass.
Rail Mount.... http://www.boatersworld.com/product/...ciantenna-accs
Deck Mount....... http://www.boatersworld.com/product/...ciantenna-accs
Bill,

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.