Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-19-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by lharmon View Post

My outhaul is a joke. The main has slugs that run along the boom. The block at the end is very small. I go from it up to a cleat. There is no block and tackle, nothing internal. But it’s only a 30 footer and the main is 254 ft˛. So I tighten the outhaul for strong winds and loosen it as they moderate. But I cannot re-tighten it without taking the load off the sail. I wonder what would happen if I just cut the lug off?

LH
Most outhauls need the load released on the main in order to put more tension on, esp when going upwind... unless they are hydraulic. So that in itself is not a condemnation of your setup.

The slug at the clew is important, but it may well be possible to cut off the boltrope/slugs along the foot and convert to a loosefooted main. Without the heavier slug at the clew, though, the main will tend to lift from the boom and that will reduce the effectiveness of the outhaul.

A modern day alternative to that heavy slug, esp with a loose foot main, is a double-wrap velcro strap that goes around the boom and through the clew cringle. This works well and results in much less friction on the outhaul (as does a loose foot main) It also makes it much easier to remove (unbend) the main if you need to do that.

Should you wish to go that route, the sailmaker who modifies your main can make you such a strap.

As to your reef lines, you may wish to put a light (plastic)padeye or two along the boom to keep them from sagging into the cockpit if they happen to get loose now and then.

Also cut them to length so that with stopper knots they are just slightly loose when the main is hoisted and the outhaul is eased. That will avoid unnecessary line getting in the way or flogging about and catching on cleats/heads/etc.

btw - if you ever get a new mainsail for that boat it will be difficult to really set it properly in all conditions without an outhaul that has some extra purchase, so that may be something to think about for your "wish list".

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-19-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd have to agree with faster that an outhaul with some leverage to it is really necessary, for instance, when you're trying to flatten the mainsail in higher winds... getting a bit more leverage makes a big difference.

BTW, I like the Dutchman Boom Brake, as I said before. I think that it is probably the easiest of the three to setup and the most cost-effective. The Wichard has to have a special line for the setup and because it has no moving parts is the least adjustable and probably the one with the most chafe. The Dutchman is adjustable in three different ways... rope diameter, rope tension and wheel tension. The Scott Boomlock is somewhat adjustable, but looks to be the most complicated IMHO to install... and is by far the most expensive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.