Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-22-2008

janders is on a distinguished road
Portland Pudgy

Has anyone had any experience with one of these dinghys? The idea of a dinghy/life raft is pretty appealing and an unsinkable/non-puncturing tender is pretty cool. I'm pretty interested in it but also concerned about how the plastic would fare after being bombarded with UV's for a couple years. I ran across this boat in another thread on tenders but it didn't seem like anyone had firsthand experience.

If it's relevant, our intended use is primarily a dinghy for gunkholing through Mexico and Central America and secondarily a liferaft for the passage down from Seattle and perhaps over to the South Pacific. I'm looking for something we can mostly row. I'd really like to avoid an outboard engine if at all possible. I like the idea of adding a sail kit to it but the sailing kit looks a bit dodgy to me.

(Since I can't post links or images until after 10 posts, you'll have to decipher the web page from my cleverly altered URL below)

www dot portlandpudgy dot com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
The pudgy was recently mentioned in my Gemini Yahoo group and several of the owners stepped forward and fess'd up to owning one.
All of them reported very favorably, rowing and sailing (tho it's not a 420 so don't expect it to sail like one- none had a motor on it and two of them were out and about where you intend to go.

The only negative was wait time from order to delivery. The company makes them in small batches, not continous builds.
Old 01-22-2008

gtod25 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Saw one at a boat show and liked it....

as I subscribe to the Pardeys' concept of a liferaft that can be sailed/rowed.

It is however a little heavy.

The basic dinghy weighs about 128 lbs. With all accessories and equipment (exposure canopy, sailing rig, sea anchor, etc.), it weighs about 168 lb.

Except for that its on my short list next time.

As its made of polyethylene I think it may outlive most of us.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-22-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The UV degradation of the plastic would be my biggest concern for it. You might want to consider a stitch-and-glue wood dinghy. There are quite a few that have excellent rowing characteristics, and might be better suited for what you're doing.

When you say you're going to be gunkholing, what is the mothership vessel going to be??? That may determine what will work best for you. A Nichols NN10 might also be a good, albeit expensive, choice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-22-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Sd..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
The UV degradation of the plastic would be my biggest concern for it. You might want to consider a stitch-and-glue wood dinghy. There are quite a few that have excellent rowing characteristics, and might be better suited for what you're doing.

When you say you're going to be gunkholing, what is the mothership vessel going to be??? That may determine what will work best for you. A Nichols NN10 might also be a good, albeit expensive, choice.
SD.. I own a Walker Bay dinghy that I have left sitting on the beach in front of our house since I purchased it back in 1998. It's been there 365 days per year for almost ten straight years and it's no worse for the wear.

A few weeks ago my neighbor came over and mentioned that it had been flipped over by one of the moon tides and was full of frozen ice. I went down to the beach with him and flipped it back over with his help. Even crashing down onto the beach, full of ice, in 15 degree weather & after 9+ straight years of UV, did not crack or damage this dinghy.

While I've never been a fan of my Walker Bay, I think it's a very poor design stability wise, I do use it as my "drag" dinghy to drag over the rocks and into the water at my home mooring. I have beat the crap out of this thing and could really care less about it seeing as I only paid $385.00 for it brand new when they first hit the market and the thing keeps on going.

That being said I have yet to find a fiberglass or inflatable that can handle the abuse my plastic Walker Bay has taken. I wore the bottom off my Puffin dinghy in two seasons dragging git up and down the beach and needed to re-glass and fair it over. On the other hand I have yet to actually have an inflatable actually last me ten years and I DO take very, very good care of them. Currently my AB 8VL is going on 4 years and actually doing quite well but time will tell.

My brother actually owns one of the first Perception Sea Lion sea kayaks to be made of roto-molded plastic and that thing is still going strong too and is about 16 years old or so & is showing no signs of age. It was on the beach with my fiberglass kayaks during the big Nor Easter and was mashed against trees by waves and had the rudder broken off but it survived! I wish I could say that for my fiberglass kayaks... The only two boats to survive that storm on our beach were my Walker Bay and his Sea Lion...

By the way the "yellow kayak" or the one pictured upside down was kevlar!!

I have actually spent a good deal of time talking with David, the owner of Portland Pudgy, due to the fct that our booths at the Maine Boat Builders show were next to each other and it's a very, very cool and impressive design. During the show there were more owners of Pudgy's hanging around the booth and doing the selling for David that he barely had to speak. these things sell themselves and in a three day show I never once heard an owner complain about the Pudgy.

And here's a picture I just took 5 minutes ago, in the snow storm, of my Walker Bay sitting where she has been since 1998 year round!!

In short I would not worry one iota about the longevity of the plastic!

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 01-22-2008 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-22-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Good to know...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-22-2008

janders is on a distinguished road
That's a great endorsement for plastic, thanks. I'm hoping they're gonna be at the Seattle boat show next week.

As for the mothership question, well that's a whole other thread. The short story is - we're actively shopping for her at the moment. The NN10 looks super interesting for sure. If above decks dingy storage is tighter than I expect, we may take a long hard look at the NN10. But my first choice would be to knock out the life raft and dinghy with the same stone.

Thanks all!
Old 01-22-2008
'72 Pearson 36

SVDistantStar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SVDistantStar
Well that makes me wish i hadnt sold my Walker Bay.

1972 Pearson 36 S.V. Distant Star
Old 01-22-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVDistantStar View Post
Well that makes me wish i hadnt sold my Walker Bay.
No be happy you did! Other than how durable the thing is it is a big POS from a design stand point and borderline safe. The Walker Bay has stability that is barely a notch above my 22 inch wide kayaks! Durable yes, a good dinghy, not so much..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 01-22-2008
'72 Pearson 36

SVDistantStar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SVDistantStar
Thats the reason i sold it. The thing almost dumped me in the river when getting into it from my P-36. It really didnt row that well and motoring sucked. I just got home from looking at a little fibreglass dingy and im going to buy it. It was a plug to make a mold from so its a bare hull. Ive got to build seats into it. Its perfect for Lola since its only 6-1/2'.

1972 Pearson 36 S.V. Distant Star

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.