Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-23-2008

marinoinPV is on a distinguished road
engine trouble

hello everybody
since first time i had problem and thanks to people here had fixed i have been enjoying my stay in my Catalina and doing lot of sailing in the bay of Banderas,but now i have problem. Water stopped coming out of the exaust. I trace the water intake and i opened the oberdorfer pump and the impeller is fine but i a gasket is missing and some (a bit ) water is leaking ,could this be the problem or i have to go further and open the heat exchanger which frankly im not sure how it works. pls if someone can shed a bit of info or some diagrams of the engine i will be much obliged!
Respect
Marino
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
For leaking fix/replace the gasket and no that's not your problem.
You've got to tell us what type engine you have, whether or not the seacock for raw water is for sure open, if you have a strainer and whether of not it's clear, we can't help without a lot more information.

In the meantime - check your seacock and strainer, after the impeller those are your most likely problems.
Old 01-23-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Are you getting water to the impeller?
Sometimes a plastic bag outside the hull can stop the flow entirely.
It happened to me.
Old 01-23-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It would help if you said what engine and boat you had, and how it was setup... Might also want to read this post to get a bit more info on how to get the most of the time you spend here.

The seacock and strainer are probably the problem... and should be checked first. You do have a big bronze raw water strainer, right???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-23-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Catalina 30, so either the universal M25 or the 12hp. My buddies m25 came with no strainer - f'in Catalina saving a buck.

If you popped the pump face plate for the impeller and found no problem you either closed the seacock before hand, in which case you know if it was closed/open before - or if you didn't close the seacock and opened the water pump and the boat didn't sink then you have a blockage elsewhere before the pump.
If the seacock to the raw water is open, close it (handle down tight against the hull). Disconnect the hose leading from the seacock to either the stainer if one is installed, or the pump if not and check it for flow (blow air through it)- if that hose is clear - quickly crack open the seacock just a fraction and see if water shoots in, then close it. If water came in the thru hull is okay, if not you have a blockage on the outside that needs to be cleared away.
If water came in from the seacock, and the hose from the seacock was clear follow that path to all the way to the pump (including the strainer if one is installed) to ensure that it's open to water flow (blow air if needed to make sure it's open) one step at a time; reassembling as you go.
If you find a blockage clear it or replace the hose with a properly rated replacement hose.

When done DON'T just open the seacock and go, carefully check for leaks and fix them before you go topside to start the engine. If it leaks without the engine running it will gush once the pump cranks up.

If the water path to the pump is all clear it gets more complicated - come back for more input then.

Last edited by chucklesR; 01-23-2008 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-23-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinoinPV View Post
hello everybody
since first time i had problem and thanks to people here had fixed i have been enjoying my stay in my Catalina and doing lot of sailing in the bay of Banderas,but now i have problem. Water stopped coming out of the exaust. I trace the water intake and i opened the oberdorfer pump and the impeller is fine but i a gasket is missing and some (a bit ) water is leaking ,could this be the problem or i have to go further and open the heat exchanger which frankly im not sure how it works. pls if someone can shed a bit of info or some diagrams of the engine i will be much obliged!
Respect
Marino
Marino,

By "oberdorfer pump" are you referring to the raw water pump (i.e. the one that pulls water from outside the boat and pushes it through the heat exchanger)?

If the gasket to your raw water pump is missing, and the pump is dripping, then I would suspect the pump is sucking air due to the bad seal from the missing/worn gasket. If any air is being sucked in at the pump, it will lose suction and not draw the raw water in. My advice would be to replace the gasket as a first step, to stop the leak and seal the pump so it won't pull any air in. Then move on to the other suggestions above. Good luck.
Old 01-23-2008
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
Most water pumps have a weap hole that will drip if the seals in the back of the pump are worn and need replacement. This is another source of the drip. If the pump still drips after replacing the gasket,check the pump manufacture's web site for an exploded view of the pump and the part # for the seals - usually two.
Old 01-23-2008
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
I agree with JohnPollard above. If the gasket on the raw water pump is leaking it can and will suck air in and possibly fail to draw water in. Put some sealant on it and try again, if it still does not prime follow the other instructions that have been given here. Start at the seacock and make sure you are getting water, then check strainer and on through the system.

Good luck, John

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 01-23-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
1. Remove input hose from pump to insure water is getting to it. If not...clean out hose and through hull.
2. Remove hose from pump to heat exchanger...turn engine on briefly to unsure pump is pumping water. If not ...replace pump gasket and replace impeller while you are at it. Try again.
3. If you now have good flow out of the pump but not out the back of the boat...the you have a blockage in the heat exchanger or mixing elbow, which should be removed and cleaned.