Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-23-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Leather Wheel wrap

Does anyone have a good source for leather wheel wrap. Either DIY kit or pro installed.
BTW- I have a 32" Edson destroyer.

Thanks.

Last edited by T34C; 01-23-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
T34...

They are likely to hold water and freeze your hands to death on a cold day.
Old 01-23-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I'll admit the leather wheel cover looks great. I always wear gloves so it "feels" the same ....... if I close my eyes.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-23-2008

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Defender had the best price when I bought the kit a few years ago.
Make sure if you do it to also buy the padding accessory which makes it feel much better than just the leather.
Never noticed it to feel any "wetter" than the bare wet wheel and certainly not colder than a bare cold wheel.
There is also this alternative www.boatleather.com and the company who dips the wheel in plastic of various colors butt can't find that link
Old 01-23-2008
Cruiser/Lats and Atts TV

Moonfish is on a distinguished road
T34C - There's an alternative to leather wraps. It's called ColorWheelz, and it is a vinyl coating that comes in different colors and textures. I've used it sailing in freezing, blustery conditions on Lake Superior, and the metal wheel was comfortable to use bare handed. In a nut shell, you pack your wheel between two flat pieces of cardboard, ship it to them, and they fully immerse and heat shrink the vinyl to your wheel in the color/texture you want. They then cut the vinyl up the spokes to within however many inches of the wheel you want, and ship it back to you in about a week. It's very cool stuff. Though I only experienced it in cold conditions, they say it works equally as well in hot temps, as the metal is always insulated from extreme temps. And it doesn't absorb moisture, so the wheel remains dryer in wet conditions.

http://www.colorwheelz.com

I have a short "I Found it at the Boat Show" video of the product on our web site if you want to see more. It's under "Product Demos".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Always approach the dock at the speed you wish to hit it."
s/v VENUS
1978 North Sea 33 Pilothouse Cutter (Ta Chiao)

Old 01-23-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Moonfish- Thanks! the Colorwheelz looks like a pretty good deal. I have seen them at boat shows before, but never paid that much attention at the time.

Anyone else have any experience with this product?
Old 01-23-2008
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
No experience with Colorwheez, but Boat Leather is usually at Strictly Sail and has a boat show price on their stuff. I bought the DIY kit a couple of years, with the padded wheel cover, and really like it. Good winter project. Just make something to hold the wheel, get out your sailing gloves, and away you go. Probably about 6-8 hours work.
Old 01-23-2008
Thanks Courtney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyt View Post
No experience with Colorwheez, but Boat Leather is usually at Strictly Sail and has a boat show price on their stuff. I bought the DIY kit a couple of years, with the padded wheel cover, and really like it. Good winter project. Just make something to hold the wheel, get out your sailing gloves, and away you go. Probably about 6-8 hours work.
How did the finished product look? Ok, now how would it look if it had been put in the hands of a hack like me? Cost???
Old 01-23-2008
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Here's another vote for Boat Leather. I bought a kit at the Naptown show year before last and sewed it on myself in a couple of nights. Turned out great and it feels great in use. I don't it feels "wetter" at all when it does rain. In fact, it helps get a better grip in wet weather. I also recommend the foam layer.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 01-23-2008
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
It is just a simple lock stitch ( that does stay locked by the way). Once you get the stitch down ( a couple of minutes) it is just repetition. All holes are already in the suede, they provide the heavy waxed thread and a needle. If you get it let me know and I will tell you how I made a simple jig to hold the wheel which made the job easier.

I think for my 40" wheel it was about $170 for the blue grey suede look with the foam sticky. I think that the range at the price was for wheels of 28-40.