Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-25-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I am painting my non skid areas this spring myself. I am going to try that Kiwi product that has been talked about in a few threads on sailnet.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-25-2008

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesail99 View Post
I am painting my non skid areas this spring myself. I am going to try that Kiwi product that has been talked about in a few threads on sailnet.
The West Marine here on HHI doesn't carry it, and I haven't been able to find it anywhere else. Anybody have a lead on it?
Old 01-25-2008

Sailhog, here is the link I have:

http://www.pachena.com/KiwiGrip_Great.asp
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-25-2008
Just another stop...

Bardo is on a distinguished road
I would definitely use the additive in the primer vice the 1 or 2 part LPU. That way it is fully encapsulated by the LPU and you will lose less of it. The primer "should" also remain tacky a bit longer so you can sprinkle the non-skid. ANyone know if I can tint my white 2 part water based LPU? I bought the white, but now I want to tint it a bit.
Old 01-25-2008

svindigo is on a distinguished road
We redid our non skid last year and did not use primer on the advice of a local yard. So far we are pleased with the job. The last time the job was done (before us so 6+ years) they primed and the paint was coming up in sheets. We removed it all, sanded the gelcoat with 60 grit, put down a coat of Awlgrip and covered it with sand of a color and grit to our liking from a buillding supply place. We got a very uniform covering of sand by covering the deck 1/8"+ deep with sand and then blowing it off once the paint kicked. It's messy but sand is cheap and the coverage was uniform. 2 more coats in our chosen final color and we've been very happy. I'll let you know if I come to regret not priming and absent any other advice would probably have primed myself.

Fingers crossed.

Ike
Old 01-25-2008

Northeaster is on a distinguished road
I have read Don Casey's book, and other advice here, to use sand (or other particles) etc, to redo the non-skid. I can definitely see this method being worthwhile, when you sand down the whole deck, tape off the non'skid areas, paint the rest, then paint the non-skid with the sand, etc.

However, my non-skid pattern (and gelcoat) is mostly in great shape, except for some crazing, which I am considering a V-groove scraping / fill with epoxy fix, before painting. This would leave most of my non-skid only requiring abrasion, to get the primer and paint to skip, while the v-groove repaired areas would ruin the non-skid patterns in places. I do NOT want to sand all of my non-skid areas down flat, and then have to use sand everywhere, as most of it is in great shape. However, if I apply sand to the repaired areas, the snad pattern will not match the original pattern at all!

I am painting the whole deck, cabin, as there is some crazing on the slippery areas as well!

Advice??
Old 01-25-2008

Freesail,
Thanks for the link, Cap'n...
Old 01-25-2008
Senior Moment

Slooptattoo is on a distinguished road
Noreaster,
In order to keep your nonskid moulded pattern you would have to put in a minimal amount of silica sand added to your paint. You have to do several test patches to determine the correct ratio of sand to paint. It will give you traction without losing the factory checkering. I have found that a little sand goes a long way, but be careful to keep the ratio consistent or it will give you different looking and feeling finishes. If you do not use at least a minimal amount of silica sand your deck will be as slick as ice and very dangerous, especially if you use a two part epoxy paint. I was able to keep my pattern that was moulded into the deck and in areas of damage you can search out different suppliers for a surface mould to repair the areas that are worn down, if any. I sent for a sample of the kiwi non skid and am very impressed with it. If I use it when I redo my deck this year I will lose the checkered factory pattern, but the pattern that is applied with the special kiwi rollers I find to be a very pleasing appearence. Whichever way you go is a matter of personal prefference. Good luck in your project. (The distributor of the kiwi product whose website was previously posted is very helpful and will send you a sample of the texture you can obtain)

"There is nothing- absolutely nothing-
half so much worth doing
as simply messing about in boats."
The Wind in the Willows
Old 01-25-2008

That Kiwi stuff looks fantastic.
Old 01-25-2008

Sailhog, your welcome.