SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Paininting non-skid...

12K views 36 replies 18 participants last post by  US27inKS 
#1 ·
Do I really need to put a coat of epoxy primer before painting my molded non-skied deck...? I am mean cannot I just sand the non-skid them put a coat of 2 part-poly down, followed by some sand (traction), then another 2-part poly coat...?

thanks...

#33 ·
BTW, if you're planning on spraying a two-part LPU, you'd better have an enclosed facility to do it in... since you're be responsible for any problems the spraying causes to people nearby. Spraying a isocyanate-based paint without a enclosed building is a really bad idea.

#34 ·
I have worked in the "painting" end of manufacturing for 32 years so I have a little experience.
2K paints(isocyanate) are nasty things.
I am not going to make a "blanket recomendation" for your protection needs because a lot of people will ignore it any way. Just sufice it to say this is nasty stuff and there are long term effects from exposure and it CAN KILL you right away.
Ask the supplier for a MSDS ( material safety data sheet ) before you purchase the product. You can also usually find it on on a manufacturers web site. READ IT CAREFULLY!!!!!!!!! Decide if you really want to mess with it. Follow the PPE recomendations to the letter. If they say Supplied Air Respirator or Supplied Air Hood it is for a reason. This is one of the few times the Government is your friend. The manufacturer is required to provide this info to you. 10 minutes of reading is worth it.

2K paints are wonderfull things but the finished product is hard as a rock and almost impossible to sand. So unless you are a really good sprayer or have a lot of time on your hands for sanding, find someone who knows what they are doing.

With any painting that requires a respirator the "large beak" is a fit problem. So is any facial hair. To get a proper fit you need to shave it clean. At the least you will probably scare the neighbors and you wife will want to know who you are if she is used to seeing the mustache and beard.

Enough preaching. Sorry Rev.Mike. Just want everyone to be safe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.