Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-25-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Boat leaks...

Does anyone know of a good way to find out where the water is getting in??

Every time it rains, we seem to get a 1/2-gallon or so of additional water in the bilge and even on a boat as small as ours, I'm stuffed if I can work out where it's coming from.

I'd thought some might be getting in via the through-deck toe-rail bolts, but they seem to be dry after the event (the ones I can get to anyway). We have a white-painted interior and runs are not obvious.

Thanks,
Old 01-25-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Pressurize the cabin w/ BIG industrial fan in hatch...seal it up well as well as any vents. Get a mop and a bucket of soapy water and splash it on deck and watch where the bubbles appear.

Wierd...same obscure answer twice in one night!
Old 01-25-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Check your cockpit drains , it could be a loose fitting allowing water in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
Does anyone know of a good way to find out where the water is getting in??

Every time it rains, we seem to get a 1/2-gallon or so of additional water in the bilge and even on a boat as small as ours, I'm stuffed if I can work out where it's coming from.

I'd thought some might be getting in via the through-deck toe-rail bolts, but they seem to be dry after the event (the ones I can get to anyway). We have a white-painted interior and runs are not obvious.

Thanks,

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-25-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
1 gal of gasoline, mix some oil, place inside boat, right in the center, light a match, and throw in gasoline.

Close the boat, and come outside.

The water gets in from where the smoke is coming...but will only happen momentarily...let burn completely!! The oil will make the smoke dark....nice....learnt this from my neighbour, the "open space" sailor

Much easier than Cam's "Blow a tell" system....

I heard Monika Lewinsky could blow a golf ball thru a garden hose, but she won't be available soon....washing the panties, now.
Old 01-25-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
1 gal of gasoline, mix some oil, place inside boat, right in the center, light a match, and throw in gasoline.

Close the boat, and come outside.

The water gets in from where the smoke is coming...but will only happen momentarily...let burn completely!! The oil will make the smoke dark....nice....learnt this from my neighbour, the "open space" sailor

Much easier than Cam's "Blow a tell" system....

I heard Monika Lewinsky could blow a golf ball thru a garden hose, but she won't be available soon....washing the panties, now.

Apparently you should be forewarned to have your insurance up to date, and if the boat doesn't blow up....be ready to become a interior decorator as you will need to paint, and get rid of all the soot, before you can proudly mount the "Darwin Award" you will receive....Apparently this is a common technique done in portugal to determine if a boat is seaworthy instead of paying for a survey.. ...

Cams a bit more work... but you could rent a fog machine and seal up...but check obvious places first as all the cockpit drains etc all go through the boat before they go back out...before going through such effort...

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Last edited by artbyjody; 01-25-2008 at 02:27 AM.
Old 01-25-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
I have a better idea....

Put SD inside the boat, close the boat, then come outside sniff around and see where the bad smell comes from.....
Old 01-25-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
Hmm.. I was hoping for something non-destructive!.

I did mention that I had a white-painted cabin - Giu, it wouldn't be white if I tried this.

Cam's idea has merit, but I'd be worried about lifting the deck off the hull!! Apologies if there was a similar post - I didn't see it.

Cockpit drains: Ours go though the transom, but it's possible that a bolt or 50 is leaking somewhere..
Old 01-25-2008

swadiver is on a distinguished road
I read an article once on finding leaks and they suggested using a dry eraser marker to draw lines around where you think water may be coming in. When water flows over the dry eraser line it will break the line. You have found your leak. Never tried it but always wanted to. Make sure you use a dry eraser marker not a permanent marker....

Long Beach, Ca.
s/v Namaste - 86 Catalina 30 , Tall Rig

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.
Old 01-25-2008
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Tape everything closed and use a leaf blower on the only open vent rest as per CAM.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 01-25-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Sprinkle chalk dust (colored if needed so you can see it) - where it runs it's wet.
Vacuum up (or wipe) when done.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.