Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-27-2008

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Fresh water pump question

Right now I have a 3gpm PAR belt driven fresh water pump, I want to install a 4.5-5 gpm pump to reduce the pulsation and increase output from the showerhead, is there a side effect I should be aware of ??, all lines are in good shape

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-27-2008

lharmon is on a distinguished road
Do you have an expansion tank in your system? If not adding one of these should get rid of the pulsing. The expansion tank has an air bladder and stores a quanity of water at your systems pressure and will reduce pump cycles and the pulsing. If you have an expansion tank the bladder inside it may be flooded or the tank needs pumped up with air. You can also make sure your showerhead is a reduced flow model.

Good luck,
Old 01-27-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
That's an excellent idea. If you are happy with the flow rate, the expansion tank is a better solution and is easily maintained. We have an expansion tank in our gas furnace/hot water radiator house heating system. Occasionally we get "water hammer" and we simply go to the highest rad in the house and bleed off trapped air which is giving the system a fit of the wobblies.

Here's a brief explanation of the principles. The tank needed for a boat's plumbing could be quite compact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expansion_tank
Old 01-27-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Expansion tanks are often installed to stop water hammer, said the plumber's son.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-28-2008

bristol321 is on a distinguished road
there is also a "mini" sized (roughly 1" diam. by 4" tall) anti-hammer valve. We use them on every new job now per code. Available at any plumbing supply house.
Old 01-28-2008

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
Right now I have a 3gpm PAR belt driven fresh water pump, I want to install a 4.5-5 gpm pump to reduce the pulsation and increase output from the showerhead, is there a side effect I should be aware of ??, all lines are in good shape
One thing that bit me in the wallet was my replacement of a struggling PAR belt driven pump was that I was un-aware of the Max PSI that my hot water heater pressure release valve was spec-ed for. I installed a Very High Pressure 51 PSI I think water pump last spring not knowing that my hot water heater said to only use up to 48 PSI. I didn't find that out until this fall reading up on my hot water heater to look at pressure valve replacement It worked fine for a while - although it was really too much pressure (splashing water in the sink) - then mid-summer the hot water heater pressure release valve started its own form of Hammering..... and I mean Hammering when the drain hose that was connected to it would jump around with the on and off release of pressure. Just last week I re- replaced it with a 40 PSI pump and I HOPE that when I reconnect the hot water heater in the spring that the relief valve will be happy
Probably a rare issue but it took me by surprize so it seemed worth mentioning
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 01-28-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Poopdeckpappy,

My gut feeling on this is that the higher pressure/volume pump will not solve the pulsing (might make it worse). Normally the problem you are having is addressed by adding the "expansion" tank mentioned above.

If you are having trouble locating an "expansion" tank, I thought I'd mention that in marine applications they are generally referred to as "accumulator" tanks. They are a fairly common component of domestic fresh water systems aboard sail and powerboats.
Old 01-28-2008
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
PDP,
I have a Jabsco 1 litre accumulator tank on my fresh water system and have good steady pressure, and no pulsation at all. Install is easy, if you have 1/2" water hose. You just have to find a good spot on the high pressure side of the pump and cut the hose. The two cut ends go on the hose barbs and the third point of the "T" is the tank itself.

Defender looks to have the best price on it too, but you should shop around first.
http://www.defender.com/category.jsp...1271&id=316442

Here is a pic of the Jabsco 1quart, 1 litre, and 2 gallon accumulators

Last edited by Sapperwhite; 01-28-2008 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-28-2008

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Poopdeckpappy,

My gut feeling on this is that the higher pressure/volume pump will not solve the pulsing (might make it worse). Normally the problem you are having is addressed by adding the "expansion" tank mentioned above.
Just to be clear - my post about my high pressure pump wasn't meant as a cure for your pulsing or mine as I have an accumulator tank. My pump either needed rebuilding or replaceing and I chose replaceing. I just wanted to share my self-generated problem in case someone does need or wants to replace a pump with something other than the one that came with the boat.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 01-28-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by christyleigh View Post
Just to be clear - my post about my high pressure pump wasn't meant as a cure for your pulsing or mine as I have an accumulator tank. My pump either needed rebuilding or replaceing and I chose replaceing. I just wanted to share my self-generated problem in case someone does need or wants to replace a pump with something other than the one that came with the boat.
Stan, I too should have been more clear. My response was in reply to the OP's statement "I want to install a 4.5-5 gpm pump to reduce the pulsation". I understood that your post was alerting him to a possible "side effect" of a higher pressure pump. Hopefully with our respective clarifications he'll understand what we were each getting at.