Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-28-2008

sab30 is on a distinguished road
Nylon Tie Downs - Dinghy

I just had a friend suggest rather that using the dinghy line to lash it to the deck when being stored why not use a couple of those "rachet" sp? nylon tie downs...I just realized I have never seen any being used but seems like it would make a lot more sense...very strong and easy to tighten/loosen etc..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sab30
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sab30 View Post
I just had a friend suggest rather that using the dinghy line to lash it to the deck when being stored why not use a couple of those "rachet" sp? nylon tie downs...I just realized I have never seen any being used but seems like it would make a lot more sense...very strong and easy to tighten/loosen etc..

If you are out in salt enviroment they will corrode very rapidly and tend to be a pain when the nylon webbing is wet...

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 01-28-2008
Purveyor of Fine Ideas

ChicagoNewport27 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbyjody View Post
If you are out in salt enviroment they will corrode very rapidly and tend to be a pain when the nylon webbing is wet...
I disagree with jody.

I think this is an excellent idea, just don't use the nylon. Find the polypropylene straps that wont rot or retain water.

Like these from Cajun TieDowns:
http://www.cajuntiedowns.com/proddet...5FBoat%5FSHook

Tie Down - 2 Inch Ratchet - Boat -Gunwhale - S Hook

This boat tie down has been designed with an extra long anchor end which puts the ratchet over the boat where it is easily reachable. The overall length is 12 feet. Made from the highest quality polypropylene, these straps will not rot, mildew, or retain water, and are resistant to oil, grease, and acid they also have high abrasion resistance.

Price: $16.50

Although, UV might still break down the straps after a few years use, but at only $16 a pop, sounds like its still a feasible option.
Old 01-28-2008
Purveyor of Fine Ideas

Ooooh, here you go...

From JMS Online Marine Supply...

Stainless Steel Ratcheting Tie Down
RATCHET TIE DOWN 1” nylon webbing with all stainless steel ratchet and two “S” hooks coated to prevent scratching. Total corrosion resistance.
http://www.jmsonline.net/TIE-DOWN-SS...hlight=ratchet

If they only didnt use nylon webbing. :/

(Goes back to googling)
Old 01-28-2008
Purveyor of Fine Ideas

Et voila!

http://www.discountmarinesupplies.co...OWN_STRAP.html

SKU: STA 60168
1" polypropylene webbing with all stainless steel ratchet. Thread tag end into stainless steel ratchet and take in slack to secure any load. 16' long 1 per pack

Sale Price:$ 21.95 / Each

Old 01-28-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
I'd venture, if you're to use them, that nylon is superior to polypropylene in all the areas ChicagoNewport27 cites, especially abrasion and UV resistance. My experience with them tends to support somewhat artbyjody's impressions though. Whichever type you pick, I'd get extra because it's not at all unlikely that they'll jam up to the point where you'd be most inclined to cut them off rather than fight with them any further. Other than that, a great idea.
Old 01-28-2008

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
I've used a varity of these tie downs and had no problems with them. You do need to do maintenance on the cadium plated steel rackets. But that is a bit of WD-40 or other spray oils of that nature. Yes you do have to do the maintenance. About 2 to 3 minutes per tie-down. Maintenance
Old 01-28-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You're better off with polyester webbing, since the polypropylene is much weaker and much more subject to UV degradation... The stainless steel ratchets are usually not marine-grade stainless, and will need to be washed down regularly and sprayed with WD-40, Boeshield T9 or something similar. BTW, nylon tends to stretch a lot more than polyester, especially when wet... so if you strap something down with the straps wet...and they dry out, you may have a problem... and vice versa.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-28-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
I'll stand by my original post as I tried it... the issue comes in the case of an emergency and that dinghy is YOUR life raft... do you want to fiddle with why it doesn't release due to water, humidity, or corrosion or does a simple bowmans knot do the trick to getting it off deck and in use...I did the exact idea you want to use - and it took way more time to get it to release than it it did to secure it... sometimes sailor knots are your best friend and you may want to keep that in perspective....

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 10-07-2009
Mark on Camper 58

NICHOLSON58 is on a distinguished road
TRY BOAT BUCKLE. They have a lot of configurations for all sorts of items. many are available in stainless. Better made than most.

http://www.immioutdoors.com/boatbuck...log_lowres.pdf