Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-28-2008
Don't panic

Filmsomething is on a distinguished road
Pillows?

I picked up a C25 last month and I would like to make it a bit more "homey" so keep the Mrs. happy. I figured I would buy a few fleece blankets, but I'm not sure about pillows. I would think the normal throw pillow would develope mold with that much humidity. What have you guys done for pillows on your boat? I would rather just leave them on the boat while it's at the mooring and not have to take them home with me.

edit- also is there anyway I can change my user name? Who would I message about that?
Old 01-28-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Throw pillows are my boat are throw aways, wife is always changing the decor anyway. She makes them herself out of fabric she likes and pillow stuffing from the fabic store. She's told me it cost between 5 and 10 bucks to zip out a pillow.

Works for me.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Throw pillows are my boat are throw aways, wife is always changing the decor anyway. She makes them herself out of fabric she likes and pillow stuffing from the fabic store. She's told me it cost between 5 and 10 bucks to zip out a pillow.

Works for me.
Where do I place my order?.... I can say nice things about catamarans for some nice pillows...

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 01-28-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
Originally Posted by djodenda View Post
Where do I place my order?.... I can say nice things about catamarans for some nice pillows...
Save your soul, don't go to the dark side. Think ebay, you can even find some throw pillows with pictures of sailboats on them....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-28-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by djodenda View Post
www.nota chance.com

kmart, walmart, target - sorry you'll have to spend the extra 2 bucks for the ones shipped from China
Old 01-28-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
www.nota chance.com
But.. But.... I even HAVE a catamaran already! (Does a Hobie Wave count?)

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 01-28-2008

Driver is on a distinguished road
Sunbrella throw pillows

We keep at least 6 throw pillows on the boat made with Sunbrella covers. They are available from places catering to the marine crown or you can save yourself from paying the extra $$ and get them from BJ's Wholesale Club or Target. (They are marketed toward the home deck/patio scene so cheaper). We've had no problems with mold or mildew on them and neither has my sis on her boat (with regular fabric throw pillows). Keep your bilge dry, fix any hatch leaks, get yourself a Nicro Solar vent and you'll be mold free!
Old 01-28-2008

RAGTIMEDON is on a distinguished road
I have sailed on the Mississippi above St Louis for 20 years, so I probably have as much humidity as Ohio. I am on my third boat in this time, and have always kept my boat in the water 24-7-365. Currently sail a 20000 lb 37 Endeavour, so she doesn't come out easy! We have always kept regular bed pillows on the berths and a couple throw pillows in the salon. Don't even take them home for the winter any more. Trick is to keep the humidity down in the boat. I ran a muffin fan (large computer fan, 12v) constantly in my 25 and my 28, but now I run a 110 vAC fan in my 37 when I am not aboard. I also have two Nicro solar exhaust fans in the roof. We had only one on the previous boats. They charge an internal battery when the sun shines, run on the battery at night. Never had a mold problem while my fans run! If you are afraid of stray current leakage from shore power connections, a 110v fan can be run from an extersion cord from the dock but not connected to the boat's shore power, but isolated from it, and leave the regular shore power disconnected.
Old 01-28-2008
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Matching the curtains, a white Sunbrella fabric was used on the dozen throw pillows on our boat, in two sizes. The boat's name was custom embroidered on just the smaller size, using a navy blue thread.

They stayed onboard for the past four years - April through November, without any mildew staining at all. But, they were always taken home before winter layup.

Here are pictures of just some of the pillows I had taken while the boat is under shrinkwrap. I took the photos 3 weeks ago after bringing a few pillows down for the yachtworld listing pics. They still look like new.

Old 01-28-2008
Semper Gumby

GySgt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to GySgt
Not a plug for the T-Shirts I will be selling, but one reason we are making them out of bamboo is because Bamboo is antibacterial, antifungal and anti-static, plus it feels like silk. It might make a good throw pillow material