Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-28-2008
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
Strained Relationship with my Strainer

Actually, the strainer is fine--we're on excellent terms. Different story with the outlet...

Our boat's PO had a new raw water strainer put in for the Yanmar 2GM20F right before we bought it in September. The new one looks good--don't know the brand offhand, but it is bronze, sizable, has a clear viewing area and clamp-on top. It looks like the Perko ones I've seen, IIRC.

But the installation! The strainer outlet appears to be 3/4" pipe with a lip to take a hose and clamp. but the pump it goes to uses 5/8" hose. The boatyard solved this problem ingeniously: they slashed up and abused the end of the 5/8" hose until it would stretch enough to be forced over the 3/4" strainer fitting. To finish off this nice piece of work, these craftsmen just tightened the clamp down until it cut into the mess further.

I want to fix this potential disaster, but what's the best way? A barbed reduction coupling between a piece of 3/4" hose and the 5/8" ? Or is there some alternative fitting for the strainer? I'm sure some of you must have dealt with this.

Thanks!

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by arf145 View Post
Actually, the strainer is fine--we're on excellent terms. Different story with the outlet...

Our boat's PO had a new raw water strainer put in for the Yanmar 2GM20F right before we bought it in September. The new one looks good--don't know the brand offhand, but it is bronze, sizable, has a clear viewing area and clamp-on top. It looks like the Perko ones I've seen, IIRC.

But the installation! The strainer outlet appears to be 3/4" pipe with a lip to take a hose and clamp. but the pump it goes to uses 5/8" hose. The boatyard solved this problem ingeniously: they slashed up and abused the end of the 5/8" hose until it would stretch enough to be forced over the 3/4" strainer fitting. To finish off this nice piece of work, these craftsmen just tightened the clamp down until it cut into the mess further.

I want to fix this potential disaster, but what's the best way? A barbed reduction coupling between a piece of 3/4" hose and the 5/8" ? Or is there some alternative fitting for the strainer? I'm sure some of you must have dealt with this.

Thanks!
Nice title I would go with a barbed reduction fitting... its cleaner and works better than the old stretch it to the max routine....The other option you have is add a coupling that reduces the out put of the strainer to the desired width...(that allow you to stock only one kind of hose for a backup for the system) which is what I did for some of the re-work I did on my boat...either method works..

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-28-2008
Irrationally Exuberant

Agreed, the strained connection is out. But what coupling is there for the hose-end metal fitting on the strainer? (sorry--don't know what to call it). All it has is a rounded lip to give a hose something to close around.

Tom

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 01-28-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Agreed, the strained connection is out. But what coupling is there for the hose-end metal fitting on the strainer? (sorry--don't know what to call it). All it has is a rounded lip to give a hose something to close around.

Tom
but is it on a nut so that it can be taken out and replaced with something other? A picture would be handy in this situation.... if all inclusive (meaning you can not attach or replace the fitting from the strainer)then you will need to do the barb convertor....

S/V "
" -

Old 01-28-2008
Irrationally Exuberant

Yeah, the strainer has a screw-in fitting--a 90 degree 3/4 NPT I believe. Sorry, working from a discouragingly non-photographic memory here. A similar picture of the strainer itself might be attached (if I got that right). So I guess I should look for a 3/4" NPT to 5/8" pipe fitting/adaptor, eh?

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Strained Relationship with my Strainer-perko_strainer.jpg  

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Old 01-28-2008

Quote:
Yeah, the strainer has a screw-in fitting--a 90 degree 3/4 NPT I believe. Sorry, working from a discouragingly non-photographic memory here. A similar picture of the strainer itself might be attached (if I got that right). So I guess I should look for a 3/4" NPT to 5/8" pipe fitting/adaptor, eh?

Tom
Would be my immediate suggestion less you want to split lines with the barb adapters etc... I like to keep system simple myself... so...

S/V "
" -

Old 01-29-2008
Irrationally Exuberant

It turns out it's hard to find a 3/4" NPT to 5/8" pipe fitting out there! I found just one, and it wasn't an elbow, just a stub. It might work for me but 2GM20 type Yanmars are pretty common with their 5/8" water intake, and apparently 3/4" NPT is the smallest size you see on Perko and Groco strainers. Others must have dealt with this.

So I'm curious what arrangement you all have in the strainer-to-intake-pump area?

Tom

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay