Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-28-2008

Morgan3820 is on a distinguished road
NFM port installation template

If anyone has an installation template for their 4 x 14 New Found Metals ports and is done with it, could you please send it back to NFM. I am wanting to install my ports this spring and NFM is out of templates. NFM says that a full refund awaits anyone that returns their template. So please, if you are done with yours please return it so I can install my ports.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan3820 View Post
If anyone has an installation template for their 4 x 14 New Found Metals ports and is done with it, could you please send it back to NFM. I am wanting to install my ports this spring and NFM is out of templates. NFM says that a full refund awaits anyone that returns their template. So please, if you are done with yours please return it so I can install my ports.

Thanks
A quick internet search indicated this was a SOL adventure...#1 templates do not get returned... they are specified by the company that sells the product and ie - computer generated or stored in per specifications of use,.

If NFM ( a company local to me) is out of templates - then you must ask yourself HOW???

There is nothing of this post that will get you where you wanna be but to put pressure on the Port Townsend company to actually deliver...

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-28-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:

Thanks

Damn! I'm about to order eight 4X14 NFM stainless portlights for my CS-36 and need a template too!!!! Perhaps with two of us needing to buy all those 4X14's he'll make a few more templates....

Please send your old templates back and get your deposit back$$$ !!!

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 01-28-2008
blue collar cruiser

soulesailor is on a distinguished road
Couldn't you just make your own templates? All you need is the length, height and curve radius of the cut-out, right?

who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little
Old 01-29-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
There are more than a few threads about people having problems with NFM that I've seen. This just adds to them... how can they be out of templates??? As the manufacturer of the ports, it should be their responsibility to make sure that they have the necessary templates for their products...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-29-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
There are more than a few threads about people having problems with NFM that I've seen. This just adds to them... how can they be out of templates??? As the manufacturer of the ports, it should be their responsibility to make sure that they have the necessary templates for their products...
Can you point me in the right direction for these threads? I have two friends with them and they have been bullet proof and Hinckley likes them enough to now use them on their boats and they are very, very picky. I've yet to see bad press on NFM? can you lead me to these posts?

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 01-29-2008

I think that the bad comments have less to do with the quality of the actual ports and more to do with with a couple of patent infringement lawsuits brought by the owner of Beckson ports. Defending themselves, I think, impacted NFM business operations. But they told me that the suits have been dismissed in NFM favor. I love the quality of their ports.
Yes, I could make my own, there are instructions on the NFM website but I prefer not to.
They did make new templates but sold out quickly.

My question is, why given that sailors are typically a thrifty bunch, has no one returned the used templates to reclaim the $80 deposit?

Anyway if you have one, please return it so I can get covered in white polysulfide and have my coworkers ask yet again, 'What's that white stuff in your hair?'
Old 01-31-2008

Bumpity, bump
Old 01-31-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Bumpity, bump
Whats the point of the bump??? The thread kinda explains it and if you haven't gotten a "I'll return this to this company so they can send it to you". You may wanna look at the alternatives suggested -- for what you want you can create them yourself...

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 01-31-2008

shantijwk is on a distinguished road
I installed two NFM ports in my O'Day 27. Actually replaced the old plastic ports with the bronze units. The template was a snap to make following the photo installation steps on their web site. Manila folder pattern to 1/4" ply to dremel & drill. What you need to purchase however are the bits & guides for the fasteners. That was money well spent. Finally, when I misplaced the fasteners for one port they sent me a dozen more no charge. Go for it & good luck

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.