Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-04-2008

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Glad you found a commercial sewing machine that fits your bill. I guess the extra we paid for the sailrite (pseudo machine?) was for the portability and the ability to pack it and take it in a small hardened shell traveling case when we are cruising and cannot fit the table the other machine is mounted on in our sailboat. We have used that when on a long trip to do sail or canvas repairs on the spot when a long way away from home. The hand crank and heavy wheel have come in handy and was worth a couple hundred dollars more. The sailrite has always fit our humble needs.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Glad you found a commercial sewing machine that fits your bill. I guess the extra we paid for the sailrite (pseudo machine?) was for the portability and the ability to pack it and take it in a small hardened shell traveling case when we are cruising and cannot fit the table the other machine is mounted on in our sailboat. We have used that when on a long trip to do sail or canvas repairs on the spot when a long way away from home. The hand crank and heavy wheel have come in handy and was worth a couple hundred dollars more. The sailrite has always fit our humble needs.

Dave
Now Dave please quote me correctly I said "pseudo commercial machine" NOT "pseudo machine". The Sailrite LS & LZ's are AWSOME little machines but they are not commercial duty machines like the Sailrite 111 is or a Consew 206 is and no one, including the Grant's, would argue that. If they were commercial machines Sailrite would not sell an entire commercial line because they would have no need..

When we set off cruising I'll be bringing a LZ too but for home use I wanted a robust machine with a larger throat, large bobbin capacity & with speed, power and the ability to sew as slowly as I needed and still have more than enough power in reserve.

I've owned a portable blue Sailrite & that's why I wanted a true commercial machine this time. Unless I buy the QE II I won't be bringing this machine on a boat....

The only reason I referenced it that way is because I purchased this machine for less money than the lowest priced Sailrite "non commercial" machine and was trying to make the point that good deals can be had if you are patient with Craigslist, eBay or any of the other sources... I was not trying to insult the Sailrites and was only comparing value.. Perhaps pseudo was a poor word choice but I though my point was understandable that I found a true commercial machine for less money than a non commercial...

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 02-04-2008 at 09:55 PM.
Old 02-04-2008

Halekai,

Sorry to have misread you. I rad your comments and advice on here regularly and find it spot on most of the time. You are one of the few regulars who shows respect for others and does not denegrate others comments or opinions.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-04-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Halekai,

Sorry to have misread you. I rad your comments and advice on here regularly and find it spot on most of the time. You are one of the few regulars who shows respect for others and does not denegrate others comments or opinions.

Dave
Thanks Dave! I try to never insult if it can be avoided because it does not lead to anything productive. Occasionally I have been dragged into the banter but I do try and avoid it! Sorry for the word choice of "pseudo" I should have just used "non"! I could edit my original post but I think this banter between you and I explains it....

Happy Sailing!!

P.S. I've been cleaning out my barn for the last two weeks and have sold over 2k worth of stuff on Craigslist that I was no longer using. Furniture, stereo equipment, TV's, tires, wheels, a camera lens and even one of my CQR's all gone and turned back into cash....!!! Should have done this a long time ago..

Old 02-05-2008

Haleaki.

I agree about Craigs list. I never have anything to sell at the neighborhood garage sale as I have lucky on craigs list to have takers for my stuff.

Always have loved the CS brand you have. They make great well made boats

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 02-06-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Good place to sell IF

you want to dump it dirt cheap.

I have tried to sell 2 boats and like post #8 states have gotten nothing but tire kickers and people wanting to know if i would sell it for 10 cents on the dollar.

Have bought a couple of non boat related things for a good price though, like a 8 HP Troy-built rototiller for 150.00.

MainSail needs beat up every once in a while, it keeps him humble..
Old 02-07-2008
abandon shore

asivesind is on a distinguished road
I just bought a newport 28. I have bought campers, canoes, tents, found housemates, apartments, all on craigslist!
Old 02-07-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
you want to dump it dirt cheap.

I have tried to sell 2 boats and like post #8 states have gotten nothing but tire kickers and people wanting to know if i would sell it for 10 cents on the dollar.

Have bought a couple of non boat related things for a good price though, like a 8 HP Troy-built rototiller for 150.00.

MainSail needs beat up every once in a while, it keeps him humble..

Oh but I agree Stillraining there are TONS of tire kickers lurking on CL! I learned my lesson with my first CL ad. I now combat these tire kickers by writing an add that is very clear, concise and bluntly to the point. I end it with this:

I have priced this item very fairly and this is a FIRM, FIRM, FIRM price do not waste my time or your time calling, emailing if you think you can offer less. There is NO LOWER PRICE!

This has worked very well for me and weeds out the losers quite well. In the last few weeks I've sold over 2k worth of goods on CL and not one person showed up with less cash than my asking price.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 02-07-2008 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-07-2008

Johngsass1 is on a distinguished road
Bought 2 kayaks, a car and a summer home! Not all at once. First got the summer home near the Peconic Bay and decided I would have some fun in a kayak. Bought one and a year later got a tandem for my wife to join me. Then bought an Outback Wagon to help carry stuff back and forth from the two houses. We were replacing an old Camry.

Looking for a sailboat now but am not sure what I want. Probably something in the 22' range that can be singlehanded. I am a relatively new sailor. Any suggestions? Any strong feelings on Catalina vs Oday vs Hunter or C&C?
Thanks.
LI Sound & Flushing Meadow Lake

Last edited by Johngsass1; 02-07-2008 at 11:05 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 02-08-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Ill try that Mainsail

Next Time thanks