Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-04-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyruffn View Post
I think there's also a lot to be said for keeping the sail area appropriate to the conditions at hand and having a human being driving the boat (or at least sitting at the helm prepared to react) when the wind and sea state get up. After all, an attentive helmsman is probably the best "preventer" there is.
Billyruffn,

You are no doubt correct in pointing out that keeping mainsail area commensurate with wind strength will improve the situation regardless which preventer method is employed.

But this is the point where I must sheepishly reply that an attentive helmsman may not always be your best preventer. Perhaps I was not as attentive as I should have been, but having myself been at the helm during an accidental jibe that destroyed a mainsail on an off-shore cruising boat , I generally advocate some method of mechanical prevention as prudent whether the boat is steered manually or by autopilot/windvane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2008
blue collar cruiser

soulesailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by scosch View Post
Im trying to sneak up on all the equipment I need to avoid making mistakes, and moving the vang to the rail when necessary seemed a good start.
scosch~ I would recommend not doing this. I used my vang as a preventer for a while and, looking back on it, feel lucky I escaped unscathed. I was fortunate enough to meet someone who broke the same boom I use by doing just what I was doing (what you are planning to do). You can rig a simple line from the end of your boom to your bow or a boom brake, whichever you like, for a lot less than a broken boom, not to mention what else might break if your boom lets go.

who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little
Old 02-05-2008

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
The problem with option (2) is that following this course of action will require easing the preventer line until it bears up hard against the shrouds, placing enormous lateral loads on them. And this will occur at about the same moment that the angle of the line from the bow to the boom-end will lose most of its purchase (i.e. mechanical advantage), so the preventer will no longer be able to overcome the tremendous leverage being exerted on the boom via the backwinded sail. At that point the only option will be to release the preventer entirely and let the boom jibe violently. In addition to risking damage to the boom or the leeward rigging with the jibe, there is risk that the windward rigging, probably the spreader, will be damaged if the preventer line is permitted to bear up against the shroud prior to release.
That was going to be my next question. While the sail is backed and the boat is busy rounding up, how do you release the line that runs to the bow? Especially in the middle of the night in a heaving sea and a good strong blow? I would guess with real sharp knife and a character-building jibe. Definitely not for me

Also, John (and SD) - yep I reckon you're right on the regional interpretation issue and will accept that as is.

Andre
Old 02-05-2008

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Omatako wrote: While the sail is backed and the boat is busy rounding up, how do you release the line that runs to the bow? Especially in the middle of the night in a heaving sea and a good strong blow? I would guess with real sharp knife and a character-building jibe. Definitely not for me

----
O, the line runs from the end of the boom forward to the bow, through a block (mine is attached to the bow cleat with a spectra strap) and back along the deck to the cockpit.

------------

JohnRPollard wrote: Perhaps I was not as attentive as I should have been, but having myself been at the helm during an accidental jibe that destroyed a mainsail on an off-shore cruising boat , I generally advocate some method of mechanical prevention as prudent whether the boat is steered manually or by autopilot/windvane.
----
Yup, "attentive" is the operable word, but I agree entirely -- mechanical prevention is key. Because it doesn't take much "inattention" (maybe reaching for a cup of coffee as the boat slides off a wave) for a jibe to ruin your evening.

Preventers are a pain in the ass to rig and operate, but I find them very useful, especially when you have new/young/inexperienced crew at the helm. Preventers let you say to your young nephew, "See, that's what I was saying about not getting the wind get too far 'by the lee'," without it costing you a couple grand.
Old 02-06-2008

scosch is on a distinguished road
brake?

Ok, seems moving the vang from the mast base over to the rail to act as a preventer is generally discouraged but possible.
So instead of a seperate preventer, I think some of you like the idea of a boom brake. Is this an entirely seperate device from the vang? Is a a stretchy line that one attaches to the end of the boom, runs forward to a block and then back to a cockpit cleat? And the brake is somekind of friction device somewhere on this line? Where do I find one? Sounds like it would be cheaper than the block and tackle set up of a preventer.
Old 02-06-2008
blue collar cruiser

soulesailor is on a distinguished road
scosch, check out this other thread Gyb'easy, lots of talk there about preventers, two types of brake and a link to some pictures.

who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little
Old 02-07-2008

PeterPentz is on a distinguished road
How do I set up a preventer?

This is my first go at blogging on this website. I am an older dog and have taken up full-time cruising of late. Although I have been sailing most of my life, there is so much to learn about cruising. Judging by the quality of input on Sailnet, there are obviously some very experienced and skilled sailors out there, so I am my questions will be simple fodder.
I have purchased a Bavaria 44 at she is currently in Croatia, waiting my return from Australia at end April when I wil sail her down to Greece and spend the European summer there. I need a boom preventer and wondered if you could advise what gear I should aquire - specs of the block and tackle etc. The more you can tell me the better!! Never set one up before.

I wouold also appreciate some advice on ground tackle, but think maybe I should set up a new thread for this?

Many thanks

Peter
Old 02-07-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
PeterPentz,

Welcome to SailNet and congratulations on your new Bavaria. That should be a nice cruise in and around the Greek Islands. Also, we have a SailNet member that lives in Croatia (I think), screen name Tomas. He may be a good local resource for you. (Haven't seen him around lately but I seem to recall he was going off for a charter in the Caribbean about this time).

We often point new members to this thread to help them understand how SailNet is set-up and to get more out of it:

NEWCOMERS-To Get More Out of Sailnet

To answer some of your above questions.

Regarding the anchor, yes, that should be the subject of another thread. But before you post your question, I would suggest you use the "Search" function to review some of the many threads that have already been posted on that subject. Then ask away.

Regarding the preventer, reviewing this thread is a good place to start. Also, the subject has been addressed previously, so using the "Search" function should turn something up. Here's another recent thread that discussed boom brakes:

Gyb’Easy

And here are some external links to articles that discuss preventers:

http://www.sail-world.com/index.cfm?...=0&tickerCID=0

http://www.bermudarace.com/Portals/0...ter_2007_2.pdf

Finally, if you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to post them.
Old 02-07-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd recommend a Dutchman boom brake rather than a preventer. I believe a boom brake makes for a safer installation overall.

The Dutchman boom brakes are sized according to the area of the sail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPentz View Post
This is my first go at blogging on this website. I am an older dog and have taken up full-time cruising of late. Although I have been sailing most of my life, there is so much to learn about cruising. Judging by the quality of input on Sailnet, there are obviously some very experienced and skilled sailors out there, so I am my questions will be simple fodder.
I have purchased a Bavaria 44 at she is currently in Croatia, waiting my return from Australia at end April when I wil sail her down to Greece and spend the European summer there. I need a boom preventer and wondered if you could advise what gear I should aquire - specs of the block and tackle etc. The more you can tell me the better!! Never set one up before.

I wouold also appreciate some advice on ground tackle, but think maybe I should set up a new thread for this?

Many thanks

Peter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-13-2008

lastconch is on a distinguished road
vang, preventer, Boom stay

Try this Boom Stay
http://www.mv.com/ipusers/whale/till.../boominfo.html
This system works as vang preventer & boom brake. designed for smaller vessels.
I have used blocks to create a stronger system for my 34 ft vessel. It allows great sail shaping control, And when you jibe allows the sail to slide across at a controlled rate. Single line control no going forward.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.