Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-04-2008

buddabelly is on a distinguished road
AM FM Antenna

Whats everybody using for there AM FM antenna? Can you "Y" into the VHF antenna at the top of the mast? I have looked around at the other boats in the marina and I don't see any antenna's other than the VHF..?

Pictures are always good too.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
A simple car antenna layed on top of the fuel tanks works great.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-04-2008

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
No, don't mess with your VHF antenna atop the mast.

Shakespeare and others make AM/FM antennas for boats. West Marine, Boat U.S., and other marine stores carry them.

Bill
Old 02-04-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Bad idea. The VHF would probably fry the stereo when transmitting. 25 watts of power straight into the back of your radio is a bad idea. Shakespeare and many other companies make smalll AM/FM/TV antenna. I have mine mounted in the cabin.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-04-2008

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
I use a Shakespeare small wire contained in a tape like covering with a plug in into the back of the AM/FM set which can be hidden from view and sells at West Marine. It gets good reception.

www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-[/url]

SHAKESPEARE ELECTRON
Antenna, AM/FM With Cable

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attaches to glass, so there is no whip to snag
This innovative design lets you locate an AM/FM antenna where it won’t get in the way. The On-Glass antenna is a clear tape with embedded antenna elements. The permanent adhesive strip can be attached quickly and easily to your windshield or any smooth, non-metallic surface. Includes a 6' cable and attached Motorola-type plug.

Application: AM/FM
Frequency: 550-1600 kHz, 88-108 MHz
Lead: 6' RG-62 cable, Motorola plug

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-04-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesail99 View Post
A simple car antenna layed on top of the fuel tanks works great.
That is not exactly a wise idea... a car antenna (which I use as well) just lays near a window... placing it on TOP of a fuel tank is bad as it introduces static and actual electrical charges, and if that is enough incentive not to do this - in case of lightening ... well I wouldn't want to predict what happens...

Gas tanks should never be used as grounding / reception bases period...

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 02-04-2008
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
cheap fix from Sailnet store and 50% off(click)

Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
Old 02-04-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Seems to me of late, people are stating information as fact, when many of these ideas are off the top of someones head.
Old 02-04-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by uspirate View Post
cheap fix from Sailnet store and 50% off(click)

Sucking up are we

S/V "
" -

Old 02-04-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesail99 View Post
Seems to me of late, people are stating information as fact, when many of these ideas are off the top of someones head.
If you look at ABYC documentation, and other technical info publically available - I am not exactly making this up....(just assuming I owe thanks to you for my tagline and you think I am trying to be AFOC when actually am not)...

S/V "
" -