Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-06-2008

royt is on a distinguished road
Acceptable installation of rigging terminals

I have a 43 cruiser that I am busy refitting. This includes installing a new solent style inner forestay. This has been done professionally by a rigger here in Cape Town. But I am a little concerned by the quality of the job and wonder if anyone can comment on whether I am correct in my concerns?

The new wraparound on the mast has been fitted so that it overlaps the cap-shroud fitting, and I assume this would make it a weak attachment, but more importantly, the swaged terminal has been bent during fitting.

In the picture, the bend is visible, but does not show how bad it is. The eye is bent by at least 10degrees from the shaft. To me that creates a weak point as the load on the rigging wire would be uneven as it will concentrate the tension to one side. If you were planning passages into high latitudes - Is this not asking for trouble leaving it like it is?

The rigger of course claims that both items are fine as they are.
Sorry - cant seem to upload the pic, but can anyone comment on whether there is a 'rule' about how straight a terminal must be?

Thanks for any comments
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2008

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
The straightness of a swage terminal shank is measured in thousandths of an inch. But more importantly the wire MUST exit the swage in line with the shank of the terminal. The head of some swage fittings, other then a MS eye or jaw, may not be in line with the shank. A fitting similar to a T-Ball from Gibb is one example of a fitting with an offset head. Can you post a picture of the fitting somewhere? I am curious to see what you are talking about.

The hound you describe also doesnít sound very good. Can you also post a picture of it somewhere?
All the best,
Robert Gainer

Donít waste time making the same old mistakes but instead make new ones and to insure your place in history be sure the mistakes are big ones.

Never design a mast that is weaker then the boat
Never design a boat that is weaker then the mast

Never listen to someone describe why your project will not work unless they can show you the broken pieces of their own version.
Old 02-06-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A bent swaged terminal is definitely a problem. If this is the kind of work the rigger has done, I'd highly recommend inspecting the lower end of the solent stay attachment at the deck. Is that properly backed and reinforced. Ideally, IMHO, a solent stay lower fitting should be tied into the hull and not just the deck, since it needs to transmit the load down through the deck to the hull itself, rather than relying on the strength of the hull-deck join to give it proper support.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.