Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-08-2008
Detachable member

wchevron is on a distinguished road
vhf: what to look for

anything particular to look for in a fix mtd. vhf. only doing coastal cruising, mainly overnights and weekend cruising. nothing far from home. not sure what the difference is between the $100 model and the $400 model and what i really need.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/westadvisor/10001/-1/10001/VHF-FixedMountRadios.htm

West Advisor has a good article on features and options. For some reason I can't get the link to work properly but go to west marine, click on west advisor and scroll down to fixed mount vhf.
Old 02-08-2008

Monterey10 is on a distinguished road
Vhf

It's often said that the antenna is more important than the radio. Things like the way the antenna is built, the height over the water, the condition of the coax cable are all very important. Stick with an antenna made for sailboats. The wide angle of radiation will work even if the boat is healed over. The extra coax length ensures you don't need to make problematic splices.

The better radios will be water proof, have a loud and clear speaker, a noise canceling microphone and may include options such as a connection for a second, remote microphone, hailer and automatic fog signals.

That said, I like the Standard Horizon radios, though, the Uniden radios are coming on strong.
Old 02-08-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A few features that you might want:

DSC, which is highly, highly recommended
Hailer/Foghorn built in
Remote Command Mic capability

The Icom 504 is a good unit, and has all the above, and Icom gear is pretty bulletproof. About $275 street retail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-08-2008

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Features

Hello,

Some features I looked for included:
-Second station capability (and affordable price for the second station). I mounted the fixed unit below (out of the weather, can't be stolen, etc.) and wanted the ability to use the radio from the cockpit. The second station allows that to be done. FYI, on my radio, the second station plugs in and takes just a few seconds to install / remove.

-DSC with class D. The benefits of DSC are well known and documented. I think that all new fixed mount units come with DSC. Class D adds a separate receiver for the DSC channel (70) so it can be constantly monitored.

-Clear sound. This is very important and hard to check before you buy. I have had Uniden and Cobra radios before and I was never satisfied with the clarity. The sound was muffled and voices were hard to understand. No offense if you have Uniden and Cobra, they are just not for me.

-Dual Watch - so you can monitor channel 16 and another channel. I admit I don't do this often (or ever, really).

-Weather radio with weather alert mode (hope I never need it).

-Adjustable Power - no need to blast out 25w when 1w will reach the harbor master.

-GPS Data Repeat - Some units will display GPS data (speed, course, lat / long, etc.) when connected to a GPS receiver. This makes the radio work like a repeater.

When I considered all the models, I bought a Standard Horizon GX1500X. It cost about $140 and the remote mic was another $100 or so.

I am very happy with the radio.

Barry

Old 02-08-2008
Sailor

Plumper is on a distinguished road
I'd stay at the $100 level and buy another for your pocket with some of the rest of the money.
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
Shakespeare, Julius Caesar IV, iii, 217
Old 02-08-2008

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
The Uniden 525 comes with everything SD mentioned plus a good price.