Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-11-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Chartplotter, AutoHelm, Windex.
New Cushions, Galley equipment, bedding, LED lights. Bimini, dodger..
all the stuff your admiral wants for a comfortable weekend...

Dude, you just started. Open the checkbook and begin to weep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
You'll never be done.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 02-11-2008
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Hey, I just object to the use of the word "finished" when talking about a boat. There's no such thing! f it works for you, go for it.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 02-11-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Hey Drynoc...looks like you started something here that won't get finished soon either!!
Old 02-11-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
After

After 34+ years of sailing and boat owning I can assure you there is no such thing as DONE !!!!!

Good luck with the delusions and tell your shrink we all say hello.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 02-11-2008
blue collar cruiser

soulesailor is on a distinguished road
I finish the upgrades and work on my boat EVERY YEAR. As soon as the boat hits the water I don't do a single thing but sail it until it gets hauled. But, every fall the list starts again...

who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little
Old 02-11-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
I always finished mine too

The day I sold them......anyway congratulations...and if you ever see me out there come on over and well blow the head off a frosty mug from the fridge...
Old 02-11-2008

timebandit is on a distinguished road
Now just go out and try to wear everything out!
Old 02-11-2008

drynoc is on a distinguished road
I must have an English problem

(I don't mean to be snotty with that title - tried to change it and can't.) There is still a lot of work to do, but only to systems that are already on the boat and don't need to be improved - just maintained. The VHF must have come with the boat, for example, but it works and there is no need for a better one. All of the winches (ten of them) are original as well, but they all work well and don't need to be upgraded. The rope clutches look a little tired, but again they work as designed. I'll need new sails eventually, but that will be a replacement. Rigging will have to be seen to before too much longer, but again that is replacement, not upgrading something that works.

The difference is that a lot of people look at old style winches, for example, and think that the boat "needs" new self tailing models. Not true. The owner might want those new self tailing models, but the boat does not need them. Same with a chartplotter (I'm on a river with maybe an occasional foray to the Chesapeake Bay), auto helm, and much else. (My auto tiller is a piece of line tied off on both sides of the cockpit. I wrap it around the tiller several times, and then give it minor twists now and then as required. Motored for twenty five hours that way once. It's a little less accurate sailing, but still allows me to lean back and enjoy the sail, or adjust the sails as need be.)

Someone mentioned I might be in the market for a larger boat soon. Not true. I actually gave some thought to down sizing last summer, and decided that I must be an idiot to even consider it - after all of the work I have done on this one. I singlehand nearly all the time, and this boat is the largest I would want for that purpose.

Someone else mentioned racing. Only on the river locally. I don't have the time or the desire to race off shore.
Old 02-11-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Drynoc,
Best of luck with her. Whar river are you on?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.