SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Finished (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/40505-finished.html)

drynoc 02-11-2008 10:35 AM

Finished

This is going to sound crazy to this group, but I have finished upgrading my boat. I now have no plans other than to do regular maintenance. I bought my 1980 Santana 35 from a guy in Newport, RI in 2003. He was the original and only owner, and it was showing signs of age. I have re-powered, replaced the overhead liner, added shore power and a hard wired battery charger, repaired some anomalies in the deck, made new engine side panels and interior floor panels, and added a furler and lazy jacks. That's it. Done. Other than the re-power and the furler, all of the work has been done with the boat in the water, and I have to admit that some sailing has been missed to work on upgrades. No more of that. I've considered a lot of other things that can be done, and written them off as unnecessary for my sailing venue. It's a good feeling. I wonder if any other members look at it the same way.

TrueBlue 02-11-2008 10:40 AM

Congratulation drynoc.
But I hate to inform you that, as much as you may think you're finished with the upgrades and spending - you WILL think up more stuff to do. It's all part of the curse of boat ownership. ;)

SailorMitch 02-11-2008 10:47 AM

Every time I think I'm finished, something breaks and it starts all over again. Enjoy the feeling while it lasts! (Actually, I agree with TB that upgrading is never done -- you just pause now and then.)

But do go sailing!

teshannon 02-11-2008 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueBlue (Post 263716)
Congratulation drynoc.
But I hate to inform you that, as much as you may think you're finished with the upgrades and spending - you WILL think up more stuff to do. It's all part of the curse of boat ownership. ;)

Ditto that - you will never be finished. But you'll have more fun from now on.

drynoc 02-11-2008 11:19 AM

Finished

You guys mis-heard me. I didn't say I was through taking care of the boat - just through doing things that change its nature. It went twenty seven years without shore power - that was an upgrade. I still have to paint the bottom, change the oil, etc, etc, etc. to keep it in its current condition. I'm not going to add a chart plotter, refrigeration, or any other item that it wasn't built with.

Freesail99 02-11-2008 11:27 AM

Quote:

I'm not going to add a chart plotter, refrigeration, or any other item that it wasn't built with.
You could have friends that bring warm beer.

TrueBlue 02-11-2008 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drynoc (Post 263743)
. . . through doing things that change its nature. . . . I'm not going to add a chart plotter, refrigeration, or any other item that it wasn't built with.

This sailor's in denial. :cool:

teshannon 02-11-2008 12:00 PM

I don't know what you mean by nature of the boat but I will bet you will someday add those things you say you wont. Just the nature of the beast if you will.

T37Chef 02-11-2008 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drynoc (Post 263710)
This is going to sound crazy to this group, but I have finished upgrading my boat.

Not crazy, I hear you, I wish I was there. There is a point where your done with the boat.

So what's this all mean? Its time to get a bigger boat :D I'll say three years, you'll be looking ;)

starboardyacht 02-11-2008 12:20 PM

She was born to run...

San35 is a very fast boat. Especially in liteair and flat water, are you gonna race her? Newport Burmuda is coming up, hint hint.............