SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Finished

3K views 25 replies 20 participants last post by  j34035 
#1 ·
This is going to sound crazy to this group, but I have finished upgrading my boat. I now have no plans other than to do regular maintenance. I bought my 1980 Santana 35 from a guy in Newport, RI in 2003. He was the original and only owner, and it was showing signs of age. I have re-powered, replaced the overhead liner, added shore power and a hard wired battery charger, repaired some anomalies in the deck, made new engine side panels and interior floor panels, and added a furler and lazy jacks. That's it. Done. Other than the re-power and the furler, all of the work has been done with the boat in the water, and I have to admit that some sailing has been missed to work on upgrades. No more of that. I've considered a lot of other things that can be done, and written them off as unnecessary for my sailing venue. It's a good feeling. I wonder if any other members look at it the same way.

#3 ·
Every time I think I'm finished, something breaks and it starts all over again. Enjoy the feeling while it lasts! (Actually, I agree with TB that upgrading is never done -- you just pause now and then.)

But do go sailing!

#5 ·
You guys mis-heard me. I didn't say I was through taking care of the boat - just through doing things that change its nature. It went twenty seven years without shore power - that was an upgrade. I still have to paint the bottom, change the oil, etc, etc, etc. to keep it in its current condition. I'm not going to add a chart plotter, refrigeration, or any other item that it wasn't built with.

#6 ·
I'm not going to add a chart plotter, refrigeration, or any other item that it wasn't built with.
You could have friends that bring warm beer.

#11 ·
Chartplotter, AutoHelm, Windex.
New Cushions, Galley equipment, bedding, LED lights. Bimini, dodger..
all the stuff your admiral wants for a comfortable weekend...

Dude, you just started. Open the checkbook and begin to weep.

#13 ·
Hey, I just object to the use of the word "finished" when talking about a boat. There's no such thing! f it works for you, go for it.

#17 ·
I always finished mine too

The day I sold them...:)...anyway congratulations...and if you ever see me out there come on over and well blow the head off a frosty mug from the fridge...

#19 ·
I must have an English problem

(I don't mean to be snotty with that title - tried to change it and can't.) There is still a lot of work to do, but only to systems that are already on the boat and don't need to be improved - just maintained. The VHF must have come with the boat, for example, but it works and there is no need for a better one. All of the winches (ten of them) are original as well, but they all work well and don't need to be upgraded. The rope clutches look a little tired, but again they work as designed. I'll need new sails eventually, but that will be a replacement. Rigging will have to be seen to before too much longer, but again that is replacement, not upgrading something that works.

The difference is that a lot of people look at old style winches, for example, and think that the boat "needs" new self tailing models. Not true. The owner might want those new self tailing models, but the boat does not need them. Same with a chartplotter (I'm on a river with maybe an occasional foray to the Chesapeake Bay), auto helm, and much else. (My auto tiller is a piece of line tied off on both sides of the cockpit. I wrap it around the tiller several times, and then give it minor twists now and then as required. Motored for twenty five hours that way once. It's a little less accurate sailing, but still allows me to lean back and enjoy the sail, or adjust the sails as need be.)

Someone mentioned I might be in the market for a larger boat soon. Not true. I actually gave some thought to down sizing last summer, and decided that I must be an idiot to even consider it - after all of the work I have done on this one. I singlehand nearly all the time, and this boat is the largest I would want for that purpose.

Someone else mentioned racing. Only on the river locally. I don't have the time or the desire to race off shore.

#21 ·
Why cant I look at things the same way as drynoc. I'd wrap rope around the tiller and go geez I need a few more cleats for this, add cleats, think hmmm, maybe a autopilot instead, add wheel auto pilot, go hmm bet hydraulics would work better add hydraulic rams, notice the engine needs more juice to power rams, add new engine, it just goes on and on.
Congrats drynoc send some finished my way.
I did finish one thing on the boat.......that last beer.

#22 · (Edited)
In all of the annals of nautical history - no boat has ever been 'done' until it is resting on the bottom. And even then, there has often been some poor cockeyed optimist who will try to refloat and resurrect her.

Always remember the rule of three's: Any project attempted on a boat will cost three times as much and take three times as long as the original estimate. It will take three trips to the chandlery and there will be three jobs which necesarily must be done before beginning the original project - each of which has its own rule of three's. Any attempt to incorporate the Rule of Three's into your estimate will result in an additional tripling of the tripled estimate.

I have a poem you might like:

The Rule of Three's
By Elliot MacDonald<o></o>
<o></o>
It's a perfect day to varnish, First Mate's not here today.
The sun is warm, the air is clear, teak looks a little gray.<o></o>
I can freshen up those hand rails in three hours, maybe less.
I'll have it done in no time; I'll even clean my mess.<o></o>
<o></o>
So off I go to West Marine with my list of stuff to get:<o></o>
Some masking tape, some sandpaper, some varnish and I'm set.<o></o>
I kind of set a budget; it's not that big a chore.<o></o>
I'll spend less than thirty dollars, or just a little more.<o></o>
<o></o>
Back at the boat and I decide this job could get done quicker<o></o>
With my electric sander and a little sip of liquor<o></o>
I sip my rum while I string out extension cords but then<o></o>
The electric isn't working when I try to plug things in.<o></o>
<o></o>
So I'll give up on sanding and solve this problem first<o></o>
I trace the wires and find one loose, I anticipate the worst<o></o>
But luck is with me, it can be fixed with a crimp-on wire connect.<o></o>
I plug it in and smoke pours out, must be one more defect.<o></o>
<o></o>
I quickly throw the breaker off and hope no harm was done.<o></o>
I sip my rum and contemplate; this boat work's so much fun.<o></o>
So then I check the main fuse to the inverter - then I groan.<o></o>
It's a fifty dollar item and for sure the damn thing's blown!<o></o>
<o></o>
And off I go to West Marine for the second time today.<o></o>
They all know me by my first name, I am how they earn their pay.<o></o>
They know I'll stop and see them sixty times when I'm in port<o></o>
My visit's brief, I'm busy, I must go back and find my short.<o></o>
<o></o>
I find the short and fix it and then replace the fuse.<o></o>
I plug the sander in, but first, a little sip of booze.<o></o>
We sailors have to drink, you know, it helps to keep us sane.<o></o>
It helps us to forget our woe, it helps to numb the pain.<o></o>
<o></o>
I go to the fridge; ice for my drink will make it nice and cool<o></o>
But what's this puddle on the sole, it looks more like a pool.<o></o>
Oh, ****, the fridge is broken, I've got another task<o></o>
I know where I'll be going soon, you don't even have to ask.<o></o>
<o></o>
I'm back again to see my friends at my local West Marine.<o></o>
I'm sure that as a customer, I'm the best they've ever seen.<o></o>
This time I need an obscure part for my marine refrigerator<o></o>
Jim says they always stock that part, they all fail now or later.<o></o>
<o></o>
I estimated thirty bucks, I've now spent ninety eight.<o></o>
My ice is gone, my rum is warm and back comes my first mate.<o></o>
She cheerfully unloads her bags and then I hear her sing,<o></o>
"And what did you get done today?" I answer, "Not a thing!"<o></o>

<o></o>
<o></o>
<o></o>

#23 ·
I went to West Marine today to get some glue to fix the hole in the floor of my dinghy, only $19.99 less discount being a new boat owner + tax. WRONG..... I left the shop with glue for the dinghy, an inflatable boat repair kit, 3x tubes of Calk, a USA flag, a 360 piece marine electrical terminal kit, elec tape, acitone and a safety tether. Over $200+tax AND I NEED TO GO BACK. There is no such thing as finished, getting started is just as hard because this all started with trying to blow up the dinghy, foot pump would not pump, strip down pump find flapper valve in bits inside pump make new flapper valve using Duct tape and flat washer. Blow up dinghy find hole in floor go to West Marine and on and on it goes. finished never.

#24 ·
drynoc,
Congratulations on getting her the way you want her. I think I know what you're getting at. You're not trying to make a new forty footer out of her. You probably won't be sailing any more than the rest of us, what with normal maintenance, but at least you have the sense to say, good enough. Have fun.

Larry and Susan,
Thanks for the poem. We all can identify with it. Has anyone published anything on the cathartic effects of working at West Marine? It must be nice to see others on a daily basis and be able to say, "there but for the grace of God, go I". (g)

#25 ·
a friend of mine once said...."there are two truly happy days on the life a boat owner, the day that he buys it, and the day that he sells it. The rest of the time is spent working on the boat, and taking it out every now and then."

As everyone has said here, it is a never ending job, for life. BUT OH SO SWEET :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.