Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2008
Rear Admiral

drewc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelHaulin View Post
I am running 60% Bio-Diesel; so it sounds like any combo of bio will work on the heater also?
It should indeed. Right now we mix about 10% petroleum diesel in our heater tank, but i see no reason why b100 wouldn't work as well.

Quote:
Is it OK to use algae preventer in the fuel that goes into the heater? If it is I will plumb a line from the exit of the Racor filter over to the heater's tank. That way I can refill without any fuel spillage and keep the tank in a location that is not near the heater.
I can't see any reason why not. I don't use anything of the sort really, but i only carry about 40lt of fuel in the main tank, and i've never had a problem with algae.

Quote:
It sounds like I will need to install a guard around the exhaust pipe to prevent hands from getting burned on it.
That's a good idea... on my list of things to do. I've leaned on it once or twice and was quite unhappy afterwards .

Quote:
How do you control the flow of fuel to the heater? There is a small hex fitting beneath the burner; is that the needle valve or do you need a needle valve in-line from the tank?
My force10 has a little regulator unit where the fuel comes in. It's got a knob with the hex nut in the middle. The hex nut is used to adjust the fuel/air mixture, and the knob the flow of fuel. If your unit does not come with this little device, i beleive you can buy them aftermarket, and i recommend it.

Quote:
When you de-pressurize the tank you just bleed it from the tank valve? How do you vent the vapours and is this an explosion concern if there is a source of flame? I don't like the idea of venting it to the cabin when I shut it down; but the instructions on the tank say to release the pressure when not in use. Do you do this?
I don't have a pressure tank really, so i can't give you any good advice here. I try to keep all the pressure out of the system (i'd rather have it stove go out than not go out), and every couple uses i open the tank to equalize the pressure that has built up.

I wouldn't worry too much about the diesel fumes, because again they are not really all that flammable when things are cool. That said, i don't like the idea of venting into the cabin either... but i do think the system should be vented after use.. my stove was lit (i had thought it out, and turned off the regulator) for a week once without my knowing as the pressure was high... i was not on the boat. That could have been an expensive lesson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2008
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Great... I think I have enough information to set it up and test it. I decided to remove the burner element from the heater/boat. I can set it up at my workbench and make sure it is operating properly before I install it on the boat. It will be easier to put out if there is a flare up or I acidentally set fire to something etc.

Looks like everything could use a good cleaning and the knob for flow that you mention is not there; must have been broken off. The stem is a little bent from whatever broke the knob but it will turn if I use a pair of pliers. I will have to find a replacement for the knob. The stem only turns about 90deg; is that correct or is it sticking?
Old 02-15-2008
Rear Admiral

drewc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The stem is a little bent from whatever broke the knob but it will turn if I use a pair of pliers. I will have to find a replacement for the knob. The stem only turns about 90deg; is that correct or is it sticking?
Mine will turn through 360deg, but i've seen a few different regulator models so this may not be indicative of something being broken.
Old 03-14-2008
Break, curse, fix, repeat

bwindrope is on a distinguished road
Biodiesel doesn't work

I'm sorry if I didn't read every word but I think this thread is getting onto the subject of burning biodiesel in a Force 10. I have a Force 10 diesel heater just like the one in question. I have had to become an expert in its repair and maintenance. I am profoundly bummed that they are no longer manufactured and you can't get parts anymore really. I've been told that by Fisheries Supply here in Seattle.

Anyway, my heater works absolutely great! I have a digital CO detector onboard and it never budges above a reading of "0". My alcohol stove causes condensation and CO to raise a little, but not the heater.

Anyway, I burn biodiesel in my Universal M40, about a 75% mixture give or take. I tried to burn B99 in my Force 10 and let me tell you, definitively, it does not work. I primed the hell out of it, with several cup fulls of alcohol, and the biodiesel just does not get hot enough to not smoke like crazy. Let me tell you, I filled my cabin with smoke several times trying to get biodiesel to work. Then I tried B20 and it was better but still smoky and obnoxious. Finally, I bought good stove Kerosene, and she burns clean, clear, and hot. No soot, no smoke, and no problems.

I don't have, or want, propane on my boat (Boom), and so hope to keep this stove going for a long time.

My two cents.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-14-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
BW: good info on the attempting to use bio for heating.... I always thought it would may be doable but in engines they operate under higher pressure and temp than one of those stoves - so had my doubts... thanks for the input....

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 03-14-2008
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Thanks... It sounds like kerosene is the way to go since my diesel is appx 66% biodiesel. That changes everything in terms of how I will plumb/fill the pressure tank.
Old 03-15-2008
Break, curse, fix, repeat

bwindrope is on a distinguished road
Sure wish Biodiesel worked, but...

Yeah, I'm sure we all share the same desire for biodiesel to work and I sure wish it did. For mechanical and environmental and political reasons, I run biodiesel in Aeolus and own a wonderful 1978 Mercedes 300D with a cast iron engine and run B99 in her. I gave the biodiesel a good long try on Aeolus and just had to conclude it doesn't work. I even disassembled everything and made sure the fuel port was clean and all that. Even straight dino diesel doesn't work nearly as well as Kerosene as far as a clean burn. I wish it weren't so...

Someone had mentioned that they thought the Force 10 did not heat very well. They may be right relative to other units, but although I'm no expert, not having owned one of the new propane units, I have been very happy with the heat output of my Force 10. Our 32 foot pilothouse is pretty roomy inside, and she warms right up to a comfortable take-off-the-fleece temperature even here in our damp 38 degree temperatures.

We have a nice little fan mounted above the unit on the bulkhead and then really spreads the heat out well.

Hallelujah for the end of winter...and arrival of spring!

Old 10-21-2008

ALEXBIR is on a distinguished road
Force 10 Diesel Heater

Hi there,i have a Force 10 diesel heater installed on my Fisher 25 "Cathy.B" and i use a good grade of diesel,and i have never had any problems due to me using the higher grade.my heater is fed from a pressurized tank (connected to the burner assembly via 1/4" copper pipe ) which feeds a constant pressure which i usually pump up to between 10 and 20 psi or 3/4 to 1 1/2 atm at this pressure it provides a nice size of flame.the secret to getting the heater to work properly is to make sure the burner is pre-heated up i use methylated spirit,once heated up sufficiently the control knob is opened up and the diesel enters the pre heated burner assembly the diesel actually turns from its liquid form into a gas form and produces a nice blue flame"as if it were burning propane, I do have an owners manual for the heater and would easely oblige you with a copy if you were to give me an e-mail address
Old 10-21-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
KH,

I somehow missed this thread way back when you posted it.

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but I just thought I'd relay my understanding that the Force 10 cabin heaters were picked-up by Sigma Marine, in case you could obtain some info from them:

Welcome to SigMarine.com - Marine Heaters & Stoves - Our Product Line

EDIT: Oops never mind, Art got the info to you already...

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 01-12-2009

kfistick is on a distinguished road
Hello everyone!

I have a Force 10 desiel heater that I have been trying to get to work, but I think that I am missing the inner cap. The pressurized stream just shoots straight up in to the heater body cuasing horrible soot and flames.

Does any one have a picture and demensions of the inte inner burner cap? And pictures of the burner. Thanks for the help.

Kirk in Annapolis

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.