Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-13-2009

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Propane Force 10

Years ago I installed a Force 10 diesel heater on the boat with a pressurized tank. I remember it being difficult to light requiring an alcohol pre heat, but the real thing that I did not like was the resultant smell of diesel. I used it for a few years before switching to propane. At the time the Force 10 people had a conversion burner that was simple to install in the heater and to this day it works great. I ran a line from the vented propane tanks used for the cooking stove to the Force 10 heater and got rid of the little diesel tank. The 1 inch exhaust line of the heater never did get cherry hot as I think someone else here experienced, but it does keep the cabin fairly warm in 20 degree weather. I do use a pella fan above the heater to help distrubute the heat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2009

Mercator2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwindrope View Post
I'm sorry if I didn't read every word but I think this thread is getting onto the subject of burning biodiesel in a Force 10. I have a Force 10 diesel heater just like the one in question. I have had to become an expert in its repair and maintenance. I am profoundly bummed that they are no longer manufactured and you can't get parts anymore really. I've been told that by Fisheries Supply here in Seattle.

Anyway, my heater works absolutely great! I have a digital CO detector onboard and it never budges above a reading of "0". My alcohol stove causes condensation and CO to raise a little, but not the heater.

Anyway, I burn biodiesel in my Universal M40, about a 75% mixture give or take. I tried to burn B99 in my Force 10 and let me tell you, definitively, it does not work. I primed the hell out of it, with several cup fulls of alcohol, and the biodiesel just does not get hot enough to not smoke like crazy. Let me tell you, I filled my cabin with smoke several times trying to get biodiesel to work. Then I tried B20 and it was better but still smoky and obnoxious. Finally, I bought good stove Kerosene, and she burns clean, clear, and hot. No soot, no smoke, and no problems.

I don't have, or want, propane on my boat (Boom), and so hope to keep this stove going for a long time.

My two cents.
To Aeolus Gulf 32 Friday Harbor.
I have a Mercator 30 in Deer Harbor. The boat is equipped with a Force Ten Kerosene cabin heater which works like a charm, but one of the burner tubes has a hair crack in it resulting in a small blow out flame. I have tried to find a replacement burner, but no luck thus far. Any ideas? Eileen B. Deer Harbor
Old 10-14-2009

elgatosunrise is on a distinguished road
will the small brass force 10 diesel tank last through the night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEXBIR View Post
Hi there,i have a Force 10 diesel heater installed on my Fisher 25 "Cathy.B" and i use a good grade of diesel,and i have never had any problems due to me using the higher grade.my heater is fed from a pressurized tank (connected to the burner assembly via 1/4" copper pipe ) which feeds a constant pressure which i usually pump up to between 10 and 20 psi or 3/4 to 1 1/2 atm at this pressure it provides a nice size of flame.the secret to getting the heater to work properly is to make sure the burner is pre-heated up i use methylated spirit,once heated up sufficiently the control knob is opened up and the diesel enters the pre heated burner assembly the diesel actually turns from its liquid form into a gas form and produces a nice blue flame"as if it were burning propane, I do have an owners manual for the heater and would easely oblige you with a copy if you were to give me an e-mail address
Hello Alexbir,

I saw your post on the heater talk last year. I am about to buy a Force 10 that seems to be similar to what you are describing. It is fed by a fairly small brass tank - maybe half a gallon (2 litres) and it is pressurized with a hand pump.

Will this keep going through the night?
Will that volume of diesel/kersosene last 6-7 hours? How many times will the hand pump need to be re-pressurized through the night?

thanks
Kevin