Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Rhedrick-

You shouldn't be using a spade connector on a boat, unless it has the upturned ends. Electrical terminals on a boat are supposed to be captive, which is why ring terminals are generally used, except where the screws are captive, and then spade terminals with the upturned tips are used instead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 02-29-2008 at 03:33 PM. Reason: LOL... Halekai beat me to it. :)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-29-2008

rhedrick is on a distinguished road
halekai36 and Saildog

Boy, you guys are brutal. Of course I use the safety spades - that is why I mentioned "marine" store when buying connectors - I don't go to the local five and dime. So, I stand by my method. Hey guys, I built my boat from a bare hull. I have sailed it extensively and have never had a problem with any electrical install. And vibration, ok, ok, you get vibration but how many times do you fall off a wave?

My original response was to the posting regarding the problem with the gap on a heat shrink, which might have let moisture in - I offered a suggestion that might help and which works. I am outa here.
Old 02-29-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhedrick View Post
Boy, you guys are brutal. Of course I use the safety spades - that is why I mentioned "marine" store when buying connectors - I don't go to the local five and dime. So, I stand by my method. Hey guys, I built my boat from a bare hull. I have sailed it extensively and have never had a problem with any electrical install. And vibration, ok, ok, you get vibration but how many times do you fall off a wave?

My original response was to the posting regarding the problem with the gap on a heat shrink, which might have let moisture in - I offered a suggestion that might help and which works. I am outa here.
Not trying to be brutal to you at all but just trying to clarify things for the hundreds of folks that will come across this thread in the future who don't know the difference between a captive a and a non captive spade. As in the spades discussion I figured you used captive spades building your Westsail but others may not know the difference.

I'm only critical about these issues because I've spent considerable time in many bilges, and seen tens to hundreds of dangerous installation issues including fractured wires and melted wire jackets due to poor connections and not just with electrical but dangerous plumbing and mechanical installs too.

SD, myself and a few others here take safety and the advice relating to it seriously and always try and clarify on the side of safety that's all.... Please don't take it personally we did not mean to offend at all..

P.S. Try to find an AMP or FTZ distributor and you'll pay a full third what you pay for Ancor connectors at WM or most chandleries.

For FTZ it's best to track down their local rep and they can tell you who sells them in the area..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 12-19-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-29-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhedrick View Post

Hey, don't take any of it personal. It is a good discussion back and forth. Remember you cannot inflect tone in an email/thread/writing. I am certain they mean nothing personal.

This has been a much better thread than what I anticipated. Good to have everyones input.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 02-29-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Rhedrick-

I don't see my post as being brutal... you didn't specify that you were using safety spades, instead of normal spades, and neither Halekai or I can read minds...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 02-29-2008

thekeip is on a distinguished road
Actually, ABYC shows a picture of another type of captive spade, where the forks of the spade are formed into a 'C' shape. I can't remember ever seeing such in commercial service.
If you must use spade terminals, bend the tips of the forks; otherwise, use rings.
Howard Keiper
Sea Quest
Berkeley
Old 02-29-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
C'mon you guys...you can do it...give me 100 posts on how to crimp a friggen wire!!
Old 02-29-2008
Telstar 28

Cam, can you please keep it on topic... after all, you are a moderator and should be setting a good example for us mere mortals.

Keip-

Can you post a photo of the "c-clip" type terminals, as I don't think I've seen one.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 02-29-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
The topic expired about seven pages ago.
Old 02-29-2008

rhedrick is on a distinguished road
crimps pimps etc.

Ok guys, I am over my angst. I understand - my interest is also in contributing to a full discussion of what works and what doesn't. I find these posts most educational, really. I hope to be able to contribute more in the future. Having built the Rhino (a Westsail 32) twice (I didn't get enough abuse the first time) and over a total period of 17 years (what? we don't live forever), I may be able to offer some advice as I do know a little bit about boat building (yeah, I can hear it now "a LITTLE bit"). And, I also accept the fact that I probably know more about boat building versus sailing although I think I can handle my own in the second (hey, it was gusting to 30 knots off Riaetea heading for Huahine and on the horizon, the SQUALL. With my -now - wife sitting in the cockpit of a totally unfamilar charter boat clutching the tiller in a death grip and yelling at me as I was frantically putting in the second reef , "YOU READ THE BOOKS, WHAT DO WE DO NOW?")- how sad. Anyway, I digress, thanks for the response. (I know, I know, I'm gabby.)