Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
did the cuban approve you getting two more ladies...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiacpaul View Post
Gimme a pair of dikes and some glue lined heat shrink tubing anyday.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2008

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul43
BUT the crimping tool is a very special item that UNIFORMLY compresses the sleeve.... ain't your typical Ace Hdwre tool!
Okay, I believe you. So where can I find one of these special types of crimpers? The one I have is a cheapie from Home Depot.
Old 07-15-2008

TRMN8R is on a distinguished road
Radio Shacked.
Old 07-15-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Okay, I believe you. So where can I find one of these special types of crimpers? The one I have is a cheapie from Home Depot.
Hamilton Marine has them:

ANCOR RATCHETING DOUBLE CRIMPER FOR INSULATED CONNECTORS 154763 $62.99

ANCOR RATCHETING SINGLE CRIPMER FOR HEAT SHRINK INSULATED CONNECTORS 159418 $55.99

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 07-16-2008

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
Okay... Do I need one of each? The single crimper and the double crimper?
Old 07-16-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Denver-

The bottom crimper in Halekai's post is for heat shrink terminals. The top one is for insulated non-heat shrink crimp terminals. You don't need both...but if you plan on using both kinds of terminals, having both would be nice.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-16-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Denver..

Sorry... This article may explain their use a little better..

Marine Wire Termination

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 10-31-2008

logos is on a distinguished road
hi guys, worked at schooner creek boatworks for a couple of years as the systems engineer/electrician on repairs and new installations/upgrades...

saildog has given the correct procedure- especially the marine grade heat shrink- Ancor makes it- it has a glue on the inside that will bubble out and really seals the connection, plus helps prevent flex. I do it for all but-splices and terminal ends.. ABYC says at least 1" onto wire from lugs which terminate battery cables too.

When I first started working, I asked about soldering because I came from a consumer electronics background- I was told that two things are at work: (1) is the safety of the mechanical bond...obviously the crimp just has more material involved in the connection and allows for more movement than solder- the solder with antimony etc forms more of a crystal than a metal and is therefore not a flexible material... but as I'm sure we've all seen on boats the wire strands broken at the crimped end- usually on a spade terminal but sometimes on the wires butt-spliced running wild on the boat. We could not have greater than about an 8" free run an anything and that was max max- a wire or hose and wire bundle might be approved to span something but always with support from a nearby surface... flex, solder or crimp is bad! (2) is dissimilar metals leads to galvanic corrosion... the joint and surrounding metals will be leached of electrons/molecules until the molecular lattice just fall apart... anyway, i think i worked on boats too long, lol, cheers!
Old 10-31-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Logos..nice to have another pro on board...good post! What type of CE stuff did you do?
Old 11-02-2008

logos is on a distinguished road
CE... Chemical Engineering? Certified Electrical? I am sorry but I am not familiar with that abbreviation- Carbon/Epoxy?

Chemical Engineering... just the sciences in college... physics, chemistry 1st year and the first half of O-chem... lot of lab work of course (making acetomenaphin, banana oil, other compounds... using mass-spectrometer adn analyzing output- now just reading, discussion, and some real-world application... you know how it is everything should incorporate some engineering and often requires it- but usally, for knowledge and experience, I'll find the smartest guys, lots at Schooner Creek, and then pay attention! Keep quiet unless to ask questions after I've thought about it (hopefully) Vic Tumor, Mike Ward, the owner Steve Rander- have a question about anything about any sailboat and they've seen it, done it, fixed it, designed it, and I was fortunate enough to be there to learn.

i've installed bow thrusters complete, stern thrusters complete (cored the hull, fit the vetus tube, motor, fiberglass support, additional battery bank, fuses, cabling and cabling runs... safety switch, and finally the thruster control at the helm- pick a spot, chase and secure the wire, cut into the bridge somewhere near the helm and install the control: test/sea trial

one auto pilot install I did on a 37 foot "crab-crusher" (full-keel) sailboat built in taiwan(?)... not a tayana and they weren't sure either... one of two they mentioned which I don't recall... anyway, it had a cage built around the base of the pedestal which held the sprockets feeding the quadrant and I believe was intended to be of structural assistance to the pedestal and perhaps the cockpit as well... anyway, I had to fabricate a steel base for the ram of sufficient strength and it had to sit with +/-5 deg. on plane over all three axes referenced of course to the rudder shaft... which followed the transom's angle which was raked towards the boat... but the real difficulty was calculating the exact position the ram had to sit in the air in order to be able to turn the quadrant fully in each direction and not be in the way of cables, the framing, or the hull as the boat was a double ender so space sqeezed rather abruptly and I had to do it all from a hole that my 6'4" frame could just hunch in to work... anyway... after cutting, welding, and installing it and everything else... the installation and calibration of the raymarine componects was cake...

Carbon/Epoxy: built some carbon fiber parts (one was the instrument panel on the Ocelot 43 which was touchy because the finish had to be perfect and the carbon mat the same... anyway then along with Carlos built and installed the carbon fiber knees in it and other stuff...

radars... satellite system repair on a fountain express cruiser 48? the system was KVH and a stop swich activator had failed so it wound the cable up and then returned an error and shut down after some twitching... they thought they had to pack it and ship it to NJ or wherever but since i have background i took a look and bought a serial port universal adaptor kit to query the unit through terminal emulation software and found out the problem... that was cool... solar panels and control units, lots of alternator changes, conversions,
balmar external regulators, gensets,

it's all coming back ugh... this is cathartic but sorry if I am winding on a bit ; )

or did you mean something else entirely lol and you? have you/do you crawl into all the places on a boat you hope you never have to see?