Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
By the way, military specs for crimps are:
22 gauge..............15lbs
20 " ..............19lbs
18 " ..............38lbs
16 " ..............50lbs
14 " ..............70lbs
12 " ..............110lbs
10 " ..............150lbs

I wonder how many inexpertly done solder joints will meet these standards.
Brian
You mean like this one yellow heat shrink 10/12 butt splice holding all these anchors:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Maine Sail—

Some people "KNOW" their way is the only correct way, regardless of what the various people in various industries and the science behind the facts actually says.... and nothing you say or do can convince them otherwise.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-27-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by "thekeip"
"...if a solder joint looks right, it probably is...Crimps give you no such visual clue"

I can't see inside either joint, but by cutting open a crimp you can see a solid mass of copper as a result of the cold forming that takes place with a proper crimp. All About Marine Wire Termination Photo Gallery by Maine Sailing at pbase.com
cut open crimps pic at bottom of page.

Originally posted by "thekiep"
"...each has its place. A connection that defies soldering can often be crimped satisfactorily...non tinned, oxidized wire comes to mind."

Why would you wire anything on a boat with non tinned already oxidized wire?
Brian
Old 05-27-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Maine Sail—

Some people "KNOW" their way is the only correct way, regardless of what the various people in various industries and the science behind the facts actually says.... and nothing you say or do can convince them otherwise.
I'm not trying to convince those who would re-use already oxidized wire or those who already know all there is to know. I, as always, get concerned for the newbies to DIY who might take what ever they read at face value like "solder first then crimp" ...

P.S. Here is what a true cold formed crimp looks like INSIDE..

Before cutting it open

Cut Open (solid mass of cold formed copper):

I even polished it for the doubters:

Close up (sorry for the bad pics my flash and tripod are on the boat):

Sorry but there is NO water getting past this even before the adhesive heat shrink goes on....

Old 05-27-2009

thekeip is on a distinguished road
Mitiemp...

Anyone who's soldered "radio connections" of any sort knows what is meant when "it looks right"...bright, shiny, and the solder permeated into the joint. You don't have to cut the joint apart to examine it.
You just can't look at a crimp and know if it's good or not.

I quite often run into conductors that need to be spliced or terminated...older RG-8, old non tinned multidstrand, or many applications where replacing a cable would be impractical, or where the conductor can't be replaced at all
Howard keiper
Berkeley
Old 05-28-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
If you're experienced at soldering you can probably tell when the connection is good - but the majority aren't that experienced. With a proper ratcheting crimper and the right connector you get a true cold weld inside as Mainesail's pics above show very well. Even for battery cables if you use the FTZ 94285 crimper you get a true cold weld in the lug. I just finished a set of battery cables in 2/0 and it worked like a charm.

I understand why you'd crimp when the conductor can't be replaced easily but I would crimp and heatshrink 100% of the time.
Brian
Old 05-28-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post

I understand why you'd crimp when the conductor can't be replaced easily but I would crimp and heatshrink 100% of the time.
Brian
I agree with crimp/heat shrink. Even my non-critical wires, like my ST-60 wind, are done with adhesive lined heat shrink crimp connectors as well as the important stuff like mast light wiring..

The only stuff I solder on board is the center core conductor of my RG-8U to the PL-259 pin. The shield of the RG-8U is crimped then heat shrinked. The internal connection point, shown below, gets wrapped with self sealing tape once connected to the spar antenna wiring..

Old 05-28-2009

eolon is on a distinguished road
"Somebody want to tell NASA they are wrong"

Ha! You mean like when they mixed up meters and feet and flew the mars explorer into the ground? Ok, I will!

Best Regards,

e

.::.
Old 05-28-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
PLease note, that failure was on the part of the eggheads not the technical team that made the spacecraft in question. The spacecraft in question didn't have any electrical failures... and most of the Mars Rover type craft have far exceeded their working lifespans... which is primarily attributable to the techniques used to make them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eolon View Post
"Somebody want to tell NASA they are wrong"

Ha! You mean like when they mixed up meters and feet and flew the mars explorer into the ground? Ok, I will!

Best Regards,

e

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-28-2009

eolon is on a distinguished road
Copper is very soft and ductile so cutting through a crimped connection smears the metal and indeed makes it look like a "solid mass" of metal. A proper metallurgical inspection of a crimped connection involves slicing a section of the crimp with a microtome and looking at the surface with SEM. The interstitial spaces are always present, and can be very small, on the order of angstroms, but no amount of force can fuse copper wires into a solid mass. Unless you melt it, which I wouldn't recommend.

Crimping is a great mechanical connection, and a servicable electrical connection. Solder, especially modern, lead-free solders, are also very soft, and better yet, not prone to embrittlement. A proper solder joint fills interstitial spaces, and a proper crimped connector will deform the soldered wire and make an excellent connection.

I sometimes use solder joints and sometimes crimped connectors, and sometimes both.

I am simply putting in my 2cents worth of 30 years of electrical engineering, take it or leave it, as usual.

Oh, and how about the electrical failure that roasted 3 astronauts in the Apollo project?

...just because all the other kids jump off the Empire State Building doesn't mean I'm going to.

Best Regards,

e

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.