Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2010

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
How many crimps can you do with the 5200 before the tube goes bad?

5200 only has a shelf life of about 1 or 2 days once opened. Even the smallest tube would do about 200+ terminals. and don't get any on your hands!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I can't imagine the 5200 and liquid electrical tape method either. Way too slow and way too sticky.
Old 02-18-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Now Maine Sail is cheating.. he's not using the typical Ancor crimper that he talks about in his posts... This is NOT an Ancor crimper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-18-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Now Maine Sail is cheating.. he's not using the typical Ancor crimper that he talks about in his posts... This is NOT an Ancor crimper.
Why would I use that when I have the Amp? This is the same crimper they use to make certified aircraft crimps. Sadly that tool ONLY crimps 10-12 ga yellow connectors and cost nearly $700.00. The T-Head Amp that I have that does red/blue terminals runs about $1200.00.

I'd be laughed out of town if I even hinted at boat owners buying one of these tools. Perhaps 98% of ABYC certified marine electricians don't own tools of this quality. Heck at the mere hint of suggesting a $35.00 crimp tool I was nearly laughed off the board...

Don't get me wrong the Ancor is a decent unit multiples better than a staking or "dimple" crimper but when you have the best why not use it.

Funny thing is I "lost" both of these tools for about a year and a half? I had not really lost them but had loaned them to my father, and forgot I had done that... The roles have apparently reversed, now he's borrowing my tools....

P.S. I did not pay anywhere near full price for those tools. My buddy works for Bombardier/Lear Jet and hooked me up with a company that re-builds and re-certifies these tools for the aeronautical industry... they still cost a LOT more than an Ancor though..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 02-18-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Why would I use that when I have the Amp? This is the same crimper they use to make certified aircraft crimps. Sadly that tool ONLY crimps 10-12 ga yellow connectors and cost nearly $700.00. The T-Head Amp that I have that does red/blue terminals runs about $1200.00.
LOL... yeah, I know what you mean. I have some tools from working in the IT industry that I use, that are far better than what the layperson will have access to... I was just pointing out that the tool is not the average one that most boaters will be buying.

Quote:
I'd be laughed out of town if I even hinted at boat owners buying one of these tools. Perhaps 98% of ABYC certified marine electricians don't own tools of this quality. Heck at the mere hint of suggesting a $35.00 crimp tool I was nearly laughed off the board...

Don't get me wrong the Ancor is a decent unit multiples better than a staking or "dimple" crimper but when you have the best why not use it.
Very true.

Funny thing is I "lost" both of these tools for about a year and a half? I had not really lost them but had loaned them to my father, and forgot I had done that... The roles have apparently reversed, now he's borrowing my tools....[/quote]

I'm at that point too... but prying some of them out of his mitts is really tough.

Quote:
P.S. I did not pay anywhere near full price for those tools. My buddy works for Bombardier/Lear Jet and hooked me up with a company that re-builds and re-certifies these tools for the aeronautical industry... they still cost a LOT more than an Ancor though..
And I bet you don't leave them on the boat...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-30-2010

justjon is on a distinguished road
Wow, what an educatuion! So this means that for me to reinstall my VHF radio which consists of one conection that I soldered and shrinkwrapped, I have to buy a $40 tool and the proper marine grade conectors and adhesive shrinkwrap and redo this all over again. My $50 an hour marine electrician sounds cheap at this point.
Old 03-30-2010
Telstar 28

Pay the marine electrician each time you need to modify something on the boat's electrical system or buy the tools and invest in yourself and learn how to do it yourself. One pays for itself rather quickly...the other just drains money from your wallet and you learn NOTHING. Besides, I'd point out that if you don't have the knowledge, the tools and the parts aboard, fixing stuff in an emergency is a lot more difficult. THERE ARE NO ELECTRICIANS AT SEA.

I'd point out that many electricians don't do a very good job, certainly not one that would hold up to ABYC standards.

When it comes to boats, it is very easy to be penny-wise and pound-foolish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjon View Post
Wow, what an educatuion! So this means that for me to reinstall my VHF radio which consists of one conection that I soldered and shrinkwrapped, I have to buy a $40 tool and the proper marine grade conectors and adhesive shrinkwrap and redo this all over again. My $50 an hour marine electrician sounds cheap at this point.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-30-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjon View Post
No it does not, if you are comfortable with your connection.

It should be noted that the ABYC standards say solder shall not be the sole means of mechanical connection.

11.16.3.7. Solder shall not be the sole means of mechanical connection in any circuit. If soldered, the connection shall be so located or supported as to minimize flexing of the conductor where the solder changes the flexible conductor into a solid conductor.

It is a still a good idea to know how to crimp and to have a decent tool to make them with. The Harbor Freight Tool crimper is only $14.99 and heat shrink butt splices can be bought at Home Depot and even Wal*Mart these days.. Under $20.00 for a crimper and the butt splices..

Old 03-30-2010

sandcruiser is on a distinguished road
in the end, you don't *have* to make the connections in any specific manner.

soldered w/ shrink wrap is much better than twisted together and electrical taped, but for a very small investment in tools and technique, you can have an even better connection that is less likely to fail or corrode.

In your shoes, I wouldn't replace the recently connected vhf. But I might start looking at older connections to see if it is time to fix those.

I'm a big fan of fixing the worst things first, then when the worst things are all gone, moving onto the new worst... and so on until everything is as you want it.
Old 03-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandcruiser View Post
in the end, you don't *have* to make the connections in any specific manner.

There is one caveat to that statement and that is, an insurance survey. If your surveyor does not like things electrically he may note them on the survey and your insurance company may insist that they be changed.

When we bought our current boat there were a hand full of wire nutted and soldered connections that were "noted" as what the surveyor considered unsafe. My insurance company wanted proof they had been fixed before issuing insurance.

If you have no insurance, another entire topic, then the statement above is correct..