Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2012

saillife is on a distinguished road
Re: Crimping versus Soldering

I like my WM ratcheting crimper. Has replaceable jaws for various types of conectors.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2012

fishermanjoe1 is on a distinguished road

Maine Sail, I would really value your opinion on which HEAT SHRINK CRIMPERS you think are the best... I have read your article many times... I bought the pair from sailor solutions.... They are nice, but I would like a really, really great pair. (for heat shrink only) I also bought the AMP T-Head Crimpers not realizing that they were not for heat shrink Terminals and Butt Connectors. (oops that was an expensive mistake) LOL.... So if your out there Maine Sail.... I would greatly appreciate your advice...
Old 10-16-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishermanjoe1 View Post
Maine Sail, I would really value your opinion on which HEAT SHRINK CRIMPERS you think are the best... I have read your article many times... I bought the pair from sailor solutions.... They are nice, but I would like a really, really great pair. (for heat shrink only) I also bought the AMP T-Head Crimpers not realizing that they were not for heat shrink Terminals and Butt Connectors. (oops that was an expensive mistake) LOL.... So if your out there Maine Sail.... I would greatly appreciate your advice...
Actually the t-head works fine if you set the strain relief to its highest setting. I modified my t-head so the "stop" was no longer there. I can now do butts with it too but you need to be careful how you insert them. I've yet to have the t-head rip the insulation on a heat shrink crimp and the t-head does a beautiful job..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 10-16-2012

SVTatia is on a distinguished road

Following Maine Sail's hint, I bought the Proskit with the proper die for insulated terminals.
Excellent tool and a pretty good deal.

Pro-Crimper Frame [CP-371] - $30.53 : Pro'sKit
Old 10-16-2012

Maine Sail.... Thankyou so much for your replay....I know this is an old thread and has been beat to death, BUT it is new too me and I am just learning to do it right... Ive been doing it very wrong for years and I really like to do things right... I considered cutting the stop off of the T-Head crimpers, but I didnt do it because I wasnt sure if the crimping surface was wide enough, with enough surface area for the delicate heat shrink terminals... But if thats the way you do it, then I am more than comfortable doing it that way too.... But I still need a pair for the Yellow connectors....SVTatia Said you recommended the Pro'sKit frame and die.... I know this is an older post, so is the Pro'sKit frame and die still your go to crimper for heat shrink if your T-Head isnt around... I want a great quality pair for heat shrink.... I thought maybe AMP or another hi quality (t and B) manufacturer might make a pair.... I want to buy one last pair and be done... I will have my Moidfied T-Head crimpers, My sailors Solution crimpers, and whatever this last recommendation from you is.... Thankyou so much for your time...I have read many, many of your articles... I have even bought the BUTYL (six rolls)... It is very obvious that you care about and do great quality work... I respect and value you opinion very much... Thankyou for your articles and your help here...
Old 10-16-2012

SVTatia.... Thankyou as well for your reply.... I was going to buy those but thought since its an older post maybe some new light my have been shed... I do value Maine Sails opinion very much... Lets see if these are still his number one pick for heat shrink, or if he has found a pair he likes better.... I will say this though.... The Pro'sKit is one hell of a value if they do a Hi quality job.... They almost seem to good to be true at that price... Thanks your your post.... SO since you use this one, are you happy with the proskits consistency and crimp quality? Thank you as well for your opinion and help...
Old 10-16-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Maine Sail.... Thankyou so much for your replay....I know this is an old thread and has been beat to death, BUT it is new too me and I am just learning to do it right... Ive been doing it very wrong for years and I really like to do things right... I considered cutting the stop off of the T-Head crimpers, but I didnt do it because I wasnt sure if the crimping surface was wide enough, with enough surface area for the delicate heat shrink terminals... But if thats the way you do it, then I am more than comfortable doing it that way too.... But I still need a pair for the Yellow connectors....SVTatia Said you recommended the Pro'sKit frame and die.... I know this is an older post, so is the Pro'sKit frame and die still your go to crimper for heat shrink if your T-Head isnt around... I want a great quality pair for heat shrink.... I thought maybe AMP or another hi quality (t and B) manufacturer might make a pair.... I want to buy one last pair and be done... I will have my Moidfied T-Head crimpers, My sailors Solution crimpers, and whatever this last recommendation from you is.... Thankyou so much for your time...I have read many, many of your articles... I have even bought the BUTYL (six rolls)... It is very obvious that you care about and do great quality work... I respect and value you opinion very much... Thankyou for your articles and your help here...
Yes the Pro's Kit is a decent tool but the cheaper ones from Sailors Solutions, Ancor or others make a slightly stronger crimp. I have been bugging the owner of Pro's Kit to do a heat shrink terminal die that is better suited and "slightly" smaller for a stronger crimp. They just launched an MC4 crimp die so they do progress... If using FTZ Crimp--n-Seal terminals they Pro's Kit works well. The die on the AMP is much wider than most tools...

You can't go wrong with a Pro's Kit tool as the crimp frame will take numerous dies. I have about 6-7 sets for mine and a few frames. Everything from MC4, BNC, PL259's etc. etc...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 10-16-2012

SVTatia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
.... SO since you use this one, are you happy with the proskits consistency and crimp quality? ...
I am very satisfied with the ProsKit. Even if the crimp is slightly less strong than others, it satisfies my need with the quality and consistency.

As MaineSail said, you can't go wrong with them
Old 10-17-2012

Thankyou VSTatia and Maine Sail.... I really appreciate your input and experience... I am going to buy the Pro's Kit..... It looks like a very nice piece for the price.... Im sure that I will be very happy with it... I use the 3M connectors... Ive read that they are not quite a thick (the copper barrel) as the Ancor connectors, but I have inherited about 1500 connectors and I hate not to use them... They are tinned and seamless..I hope they are a good quality connector.... Maybe not quite as good as the Ancor connectors, but still a quality connector.... They seem to do pretty well... I just hope they take the beating that a boat gives them.... Thanks guys...
Old 10-17-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

As stranded wire tends to wick water along its full length over time. Letting the solder wick under the insulation, then soaking the end with liquid electrical tape, seals the end much better. That is why I prefer solid single strand wire, below decks ,which I have had zero problem with over the last 28 years. Most stranded wire I've pulled out of boats was corroded and turned black over its entire length. One guy on another site said his solid wire is in perfect condition after 45 years, something I've never seen stranded wire do.
Solid wire has problems outside, when the insulation and vibration break it down. Black insulation is far more UV resistant.
groggy likes this.