Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Yeikes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by US27inKS View Post
These are the connectors I use in my auto shop. They're the best I've found, but you can't just go to the store and buy some. BTW the cost for these is about a buck a piece depending on the style of connector.

http://www.wurthusa.com/project/en/l...th=03.0141.jpg
Well...At least they have a built in heat shrink..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2008
Alex, not full of crap

werebeagle will become famous soon enough werebeagle will become famous soon enough
As for the quotes, I just use the quote button, and then edit the text if I don't want all of it in there, of copy and paste multiple times before editing if I want multiple quote boxes. I find it's easier than trying to manually enter in the proper quote brackets.

Courtney's my Dancing Angel

Where am I, and where's my paddle?
It's not impossible, it just costs more.
Give me ambiguity, or give me something else.
Old 02-16-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Thanks

I simpler idea for a simple Man...
Old 02-16-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
What I am getting from this is that quotes are important in the crimping process as well...

Another simple technique is to tie the corresponding wires together and then twist the heck out of the stripped portions and then electrical tape the heck out of it (with good marine grade tape of course)....it will survive the tug test but not many others...

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-16-2008
Handsome devil

Yep

Thats what I do when broke down at night lee shore or not....

Sorry for the public schooling of an old thick skulled loggerhead...
Old 02-16-2008
Alex, not full of crap

werebeagle will become famous soon enough werebeagle will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbyjody View Post
Another simple technique is to tie the corresponding wires together and then twist the heck out of the stripped portions and then electrical tape the heck out of it (with good marine grade tape of course)....it will survive the tug test but not many others...
I've worked on some houses where that was the thought also. The connection was so reliable, that they decided not to put it into a junction box, but just bury it behind the drywall.

Courtney's my Dancing Angel

Where am I, and where's my paddle?
It's not impossible, it just costs more.
Give me ambiguity, or give me something else.
Old 02-16-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by werebeagle View Post
I've worked on some houses where that was the thought also. The connection was so reliable, that they decided not to put it into a junction box, but just bury it behind the drywall.
I have too - and will do it if in a pinch - but nah either the crimping or soldering - both actually if done properly with the right materials imho work equally as well... the problem with crimps is there is one moisture point ingress unless the heat shrink cover where the spade starts....it doesn't take much and the crimp will outlast the wiring any day as it doesn't suck moisture...my last post was merely in jest....

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 02-16-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The one down in New Bedford had some of the Ancor electrical terminals, along with the supplies one would need to make docks. This is probably due to the importance of the waterfront and fishing industry in the area.

BTW, the brand is Ancor, not Anchor, which is what you've got too many of to begin with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by halekai36 View Post
A select few Home Depot stores, mostly in Florida, do carry a very small assortment of anchor wire and connectors. Unfortunately, none of the Home Depot stores in the North East, that I've been in, carry Anchor products.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-16-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
Originally Posted by werebeagle View Post
Is that code ? I always thought if your behind drywall, your in a junction box. That is what I've always done.
Old 02-16-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Freesail, I believe I hear the local fire marshal calling your name.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.