Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2008
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by halekai36 View Post
What no women ????
Of course, who do you think is going to twist all that Romex and put on the wire nuts?
Old 02-16-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Also, ratcheting crimpers tend to give a much more consistent crimp, since the jaws won't release until the crimp reaches a set point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by halekai36 View Post
Sailaway...

Unfortunately, that crimper you use is NOT designed and is NOT intended for use on insulated terminals such as those made by Ancor. That tool is for NON-INSULATED terminals... Just a heads up...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
halekai,
I'm curious then as to why Klein stamps on the side of the jaw, "ins" and "un-ins" adjacent to the two crimping jaws. One of the jaws makes a crimp while the other makes more of a swage. I prefer uninsulated terminals, where possible, adding shrink tubing after the crimp.

edit for more info:
I've found that anyone with decent hand strength can achieve the same results with out the need for ratcheting. Ratcheting cutting tools generally shine where larger diameters are being cutt or crimped. I'm not against them for the discussed usage, I've just never been less than completely satisfied with the Klein pliers.

Last edited by sailaway21; 02-16-2008 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-16-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
For more on this cutting edge of technology topic, including important input from NASA as well as the Republic of Ireland, you can read here:Advice, please on crimping wire connections...

There is a great deal of good info amidst the passion.
Old 02-16-2008
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Ancor brand terminals and crimps are carried in the Home Depots in the metro NYC area, in the "eletrical" supplies sections somewhere near the tools (locked up) and switches and tape. Although HD charges some of the highest prices I've seen for electrical tools and meters, and often doesn't have great quality. (Very disappointing.)

OK guys, now let's stop screwing around with crimping tools and start doing it the right way. First, you wrap some fine copper sheet over the two spliced wires. Then you lay about 1/16" of C4 or Semtex around the copper cladding, press in a detonator, and wire it back to the companionway. Once you've got them all set, hook up the power and WHAM all the wires are welded, very nicely, very quickly.

Or, you can buy the explosive crimping sleeves in the "Sears Really Really Special Tool Catalog" but you'll have to go behind the doors in the back room and show ID before they'll let you have one. The ones from Sears are pretty good, there's a microbattery and microdetonator with timer all built into it, for a one-shot use with no extra wires to run. [VBG]
Old 02-16-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
great, now we're gonna get monitored by homeland security
Old 02-16-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Read it all Sway...

Every post ...now you know why my wife is telling me I'm addicted to you guys...

Some good stuff there for sure...I think I have enough information to carry on from here...Thanks Guys...

Hay by the way Sway...I use to Drill for the black water..
Old 02-16-2008

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
"great, now we're gonna get monitored by homeland security"

Only for about 3 minutes.
Then the men in black will figure out we're ass's full of crap and ignore us. As it should be.All is right with the world.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 02-16-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21 View Post
halekai,
I'm curious then as to why Klein stamps on the side of the jaw, "ins" and "un-ins" adjacent to the two crimping jaws. One of the jaws makes a crimp while the other makes more of a swage. I prefer uninsulated terminals, where possible, adding shrink tubing after the crimp.
I have no idea why and was only referring to the crimpers in the link you posted and the specs on those specific crimpers: http://www.tools-plus.com/klein-1006.html

Highlights:

Klein 1006 Crimper-Cutter
  • For crimping non-insulated solderless terminals
  • Accommodates wire from No. 10 to 22 AWG
  • Specially hardened wire cutters in nose
  • Length 9-3/4"
  • Lifetime guaranteed ~ made in U.S.A.
My guess is that the ones you linked to are not the same as the ones you actually own??

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 02-16-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

halekai,
My error. I must be infected with the same virus as the sailnet store. (g) Yes, mine do have a jaw for both insulated and un-insulated and those are the red handled ones found at the Home Marina and electrical supply houses.