Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-15-2008

Brezzin is on a distinguished road
Any one use Night Vision Binoculars?

I have been mulling over the idea of getting a pair. Ever sense I had Lasik on my eyes my night vision has gone to hell.

Thoughts or suggestions as to what to look for would be helpful.

Thanks
2007 Hunter 49
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2008
Living & Cruising on Dana

Robby Barlow is on a distinguished road
Personally I've never used them, but a mate of mine bought these last year and he's quite happy with them, says they are very useful for finding port entrances (at night).

http://www.plastimo.com/catalogue/se...K&s_choice=ref
Old 02-15-2008
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
In the Army I used the latest 3rd gen night vision. I mostly used AN/PVS-14 and they are really good, but not what you think. It's not like the movies, it doesn't turn night into day. I suggest trying them out before buying, you may be dissapointed. They work well if there is good lume, but if there is 20% lume or less, it's tough. Also, if you don't have cash to shell out, you'll have to settle for older gen (1 or 2), and they just downright suck.

http://www.opticshq.com/page/Optics/...opes/PVS-14-SA

AN/PVS-7 were heavy they are 3rd gen and easier to adjust to, but they weigh 24 oz. Strap that to the front of your head for awhile.

Last edited by Sapperwhite; 02-15-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-15-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
I have a Yukon night vision binocular. I've not used it a lot but when I did I thought it performed very well. Nice to have on board although not cheap.
Old 02-15-2008

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Dave,

Sorry about your night vision after Lasik surgery. They don't tell you that!

The early generations of night vision devices are pretty worthless. My wife gave me one some years ago...Russian made...and I tried them out underway and at anchor in the Caribbean and in the Chesapeake. Not much use. They are hard to use, extremely sensitive to extraneous light (which blocks what you're trying to see) and not much use in complete darkness.

So, IMHO if you're going to get some you'll need a recent generation model, and these are expensive.

One thing I've found that may be helpful: it's the rare sailor who has darkened his/her boat sufficiently to promote good night vision. Any light other than a dim red will kill night vision very fast. Even a bright red compass light or a red cabin light can be too much to retain your night vision. Once you've even glimpsed white light, it takes 10 minutes to regain any kind of useful night vision, and upwards of 30 minutes to regain full night vision.

Good luck to you; hope you find something useful.

Bill
Old 02-15-2008

rennisaint is on a distinguished road
The higher generation ones are wayyyyy better. But like everything in life come at a price. They are good at seeing reflectors, lights, etc. But not great at just picking up long distance generic objects IMHO. However, you can get these sweet IR spotlights that will make night look like the surface of the sun through NV binoculars, and they take surprisingly little power.

http://www.nightvisionexperts.com/ni...uminators.html

Pretty good explanation, and shows how expensive this equipment unfortunately is. Go somewhere and try each generation and see how low of a price you can get away with. I have poor night vision, so I have to have gen. 3.... not cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000YQBQGW?...0&linkCode=asn

Appears to be a damn good deal

Last edited by rennisaint; 02-15-2008 at 02:49 PM. Reason: added link
Old 02-15-2008

rennisaint is on a distinguished road
Another point I forgot to mention about those spotlights, if you are ever in trouble, or a ship can't see you. Flash that light at them, if they have any sort of camera equipment or light enhancement equipment you will show up very well. Digital photocells are extremely sensitive to IR light, and you can actually make a super cheap basic night vision setup by removing the IR filter on any digital photocell, such as camcorders etc..
Old 02-15-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
There are two different type of night vision gear. One is image amplification, the other is Infrared. Both can be blinded by a bright light source, so be careful if you're looking at other boats or someone wielding a spot light.

Of the two, the IR gear is probably better, since you can get an IR spotlight to illuminate the area, people in the water show up very well, and they can see through fog, which the image amp gear can not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-15-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Can you take Gen 2+ or Gen 3 out of the country? I thought there were some tough rules about them leaving the US? Or was it about them being shipped/exported out of the US?? I cannot remember.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 02-15-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
CD—

From one of the NVG reseller sites:

Quote:
Export Restrictions:
The U.S. Department of Commerce and the U.S. Department of State, Office of Munitions Control regulates our products. Due to this we kindly request that you read the below paragraphs regarding export regulations.
If you should have any questions or require additional information regarding export regulations please contact our knowledgeable and experienced staff or contact the:
U.S.Department of Commerce U.S. Department of State
Bureau of Industry and Security International Traffic in Arms Regulations
Office of Exporter Services: Office of Defense Trade Control:
PH (202) 482-4811 PH (202) 663 2714.
Website: http://www.bis.doc.gov Website: http://www.state.gov
Export Regulations:
Export of night vision equipment and optical sighting equipment is controlled by the U.S. Department of State Office of Defense Trade Controls, in accordance with International Traffic in Arms (ITAR), Title 22, Code of Federal Regulations Part 120-130 and/or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) U.S. Department of Commerce.
It is unlawful to export, or attempt to export or otherwise transfer or sell any hardware or technical data or furnish any service to any foreign person, whether abroad or in the United States, for which a license or written approval of the U.S. Government is required, without first obtaining the required license or written approval from the Department of the U.S. Government having jurisdiction.
It is the Resellers/End Users responsibility to request and obtain export licenses for the export of the subject items, and to ensure that the requirements of all applicable laws, regulations and administrative policies are met.
Sales or transfers to entities on the List of Debarred Parties, Denied Persons list and Embargoed Countries are strictly prohibited.
These lists can be found at the above US Government websites or at the following links:
Denied Persons list:http://www.bis.doc.gov/dpl/Default.shtm
Unverified list: http://www.bis.doc.gov/Enforcement/U...d_parties.html
Entity list: http://www.bis.doc.gov/Entities/Default.htm
Specially Designated Nationals list: http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/sdn/
Debarred list: http://pmdtc.org/debar059.htm
Nonproliferation Sanctions: http://www.state.gov/t/isn/c15231.htm
Embargoed Countries (see part 746): http://www.access.gpo.gov/bis/ear/ear_data.html
  • Export of GEN-3 night vision equipment from the United States without a valid export permit issued by the U.S. Department of State, Office of Defense Trade Controls is strictly prohibited.
  • Generation 4, autogated/filmless technology is not available for export.
Diversion contrary to U.S. law is prohibited.
Other Restrictions: Restrictions on the use of night vision with a weapon vary from state to state.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.