Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-16-2008

groundhog is on a distinguished road
Dodgers and biminis...

I have a few questions..

If you have a dodger/spray hood on your boat, are you always happy that you have it? Or are there times you wish you didn't?

I have seen a few pics of dodgers with exposed tubing as handholds.
I was wondering if you could fashion a bimini top that could just clamp onto the handholds, thereby eliminating all of those cumbersome support poles. Kind of like if you could take the bill of your baseball cap and clip it on or off of the cap.

That way, you could also disassemble the bimini poles and pack it up really small for storage.

thanks,
groundhog
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
I wouldn't be without a dodger and a bimini for that matter. I would not want to rig a bimini to the handholds if that eliminated the handhold, they are a real safety feature.
Old 02-16-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by teshannon View Post
I wouldn't be without a dodger and a bimini for that matter. I would not want to rig a bimini to the handholds if that eliminated the handhold, they are a real safety feature.
We have not even folded a dodger in 12 years. It's always up and always on the boat bimini too. We take skin cancer seriously..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 02-16-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Groundhog-

This would only be feasible if you had something to support the aft end of the bimini, such as a radar arch, dinghy davits or the dreaded Hunter Mainsheet arch.

I have both a bimini and a dodger on my boat, and have been very happy with having both aboard. The bimini makes life on those really hot, sunny summer days much more liveable. The dodger makes the windy, spray filled or rainy days a lot more survivable, especially early in the season, up here in New England.

I'd also second Teshannon on the importance of any such design not interfering with the handholds. Handholds are way to useful froma safety point of view to dispense with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-16-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
My bimini and dodger stay up fulltime as well. The center pane of the dodger though is removable, which I find handy.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 02-16-2008
Detachable member

wchevron is on a distinguished road
we just got our 1st boat this past fall. we currently have a dodger and a bimini is coming this summer. my wife got diagnosed 2 years ago with skin cancer so for us it's a no brainer.
Old 02-16-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The center panel on mine rolls up, but isn't removable. One less thing to lose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer View Post
My bimini and dodger stay up fulltime as well. The center pane of the dodger though is removable, which I find handy.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-16-2008

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
We are currently redoing our dodger with our sailrite machine. We will retain the flexibility of lowering it to the cabin top as there are many days on the Chesapeake in mid July its great to have breeze flowing across the boat. In addition we are making our new stratglass windows zip out vs roll up as rolling the windows up when you unzip them in our current configuration causes scratching and contributes to them wearing out more quickly. We are also very carefull what we clean the windows with and have a front cover on them when the boat is sitting in the slip during the week when we are working.

Like others in the post have said, with the sun causing skin cancer we primarily sail with our bimini up, but here in the fall its nice to bundle the bimin up so get some warmth from the sun in the cockpit.

We also have a connector piece betweeen the two as most have so that in inclement weather we can keep the boat open and ventilated without rain getting into the cabin. also we have side panels which have helped keep the cockpit dry when transitting on days when the weather is foul.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-16-2008

ccam is on a distinguished road
groundhog-
Not to Hijack - But
Good question! I have neither and was contemplating the viability of the 3500 expense.
1984 HC 33T #61
Old 02-16-2008

groundhog is on a distinguished road
SD,
I have been pondering the free end of the clamp on bimini concept. I am thinking that the bimini will be used mostly in lighter conditions, but you know somebody or some kid will end up trying to hang on it.

If the dodger is quite strong, it may help.
Maybe clip it to the backstay with a wire just in case someone stresses that unsupported end?

gh