Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-19-2008
Banned

bushrat is on a distinguished road
There was a part bottle of that Greased lightening left on the boat from the PO when I bought her. It went a long way helping me to clean her up, worked great on fiberglass. It's gone and I can't find it here in Ontario.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
Greased Lightening

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
There was a part bottle of that Greased lightening left on the boat from the PO when I bought her. It went a long way helping me to clean her up, worked great on fiberglass. It's gone and I can't find it here in Ontario.
Yeah.. I'm from NY and you can't get it there.. But I live in SC now and it is available... My parents used to own a Marina while I was in college, so I cleaned boats for tuition money (Ok.. beer money) and that's when I started using it.

***CAUTION: WEAR GLOVES and USE IN WELL VENTILATED AREA***

So... for whatever reason.. some States, (and apparently countries) have restrictions on the stuff.. or distributors just don't carry it.

I just used it to clean below decks... It's amazing how "bright" the interior is now.

Bird Poo? Bring it on!

They even have a new "Citrus" version now!

craig
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I love
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-20-2008
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtoo View Post
Yeah.. I'm from NY and you can't get it there.. But I live in SC now and it is available... My parents used to own a Marina while I was in college, so I cleaned boats for tuition money (Ok.. beer money) and that's when I started using it.

***CAUTION: WEAR GLOVES and USE IN WELL VENTILATED AREA***

So... for whatever reason.. some States, (and apparently countries) have restrictions on the stuff.. or distributors just don't carry it.

I just used it to clean below decks... It's amazing how "bright" the interior is now.

Bird Poo? Bring it on!

They even have a new "Citrus" version now!

craig
You got that right, I was struck by the fumes the first time, and when it got on my hands it was hard to rinse off. It just did a great job though. Worked on grease, black marks, the bilge and any other grime. She sparkled with that stuff. Beat mean grean, fantastic, etc. Super clean by castrol is pretty good but still not as good.
Old 02-20-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
You got that right, I was struck by the fumes the first time, and when it got on my hands it was hard to rinse off. It just did a great job though. Worked on grease, black marks, the bilge and any other grime. She sparkled with that stuff. Beat mean grean, fantastic, etc. Super clean by castrol is pretty good but still not as good.
Some of those products (acid detergents) have got Hydrofluoric Acid in them. Small amounts of HF kills people (mostly in the US oddly enough) every year - eating them from the inside out after being absorbed through the skin.

You have been warned! (..but check the label first)

Last edited by Classic30; 02-20-2008 at 02:01 AM.
Old 02-20-2008
Banned

Yes, unless you use vinegar and water, you have to use with caution. What really struck me was how good this stuff worked though. I had two cockpit cushions left to clean when I ran out of the Greased lightening. They are the blue sponge type. I didn't think anything would bring them back to the first mate's standard and I was ready to replace them. I had a enough to do one and it looked like new. No matter how many times I scrubbed the second one, with various cleaners, it never came as clean as the one that got quickly cleaned up with the Greased Lightening.