Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-19-2008

dawliz is on a distinguished road
Hi thanks for the fast answer. Any idea on speed range in normal conditions (Freshwater) ?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Hard to say without knowing more about the boat in question. 500 lbs. is a pretty heavy boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-19-2008
1977 Morgan OI 30

Joesaila is on a distinguished road
I have a Tuhatsu 3.5, 2 stroke and put an extension on the lower end so I could use it on a Portland Pudgy. It works fine and starts quickly.
Old 10-19-2008
'72 Pearson 36

SVDistantStar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SVDistantStar
I know 4-strokes are the big thing in outboards right now, but when someone is searching for a good dependable 2-3hp outboard, no one brings up the Johnson/Evinrude motors? I've got a major preference to these motors since they deliver alot of power for the size. The big advantage they have over any other 3hp motor is they are 2cyl. I run mine on a 75:1 oil mix and its just happy. I use mine on a 14' jonboat and even with 2 people in it, it will still plane off and move. For the most part, they can be had for under $500 in good shape.

1972 Pearson 36 S.V. Distant Star
Old 11-06-2008

Derrek is on a distinguished road
Merc/Tohsu 3.5 + portabote 12ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I have the Tohatsu 3.5 HP four-stroke as the dinghy motor on my boat. Think it's a great little engine. I'd highly recommend it. I use it on a 12' 6" porta-bote and a 8' 6" inflatable with a roll up floor. BTW, my friend has the 2.5 HP.

Any questions, PM me.
Sailingdog,
I joined this site to ask you a very specific question, but i have to post numerous times before i can PM you. So i have posted this question for you instead.

Anybody else, please feel free to drop in your 2 cents worth if you own a Porta-Bote as well.

"Mr, Dog

I have owned the 12 foot Porta Bote for a year now. I used to use it on a small pond and my 30lb thrust trolling motor was fine. Recently i have been fishing for stripers in the SF delta a lot and am traveling a lot further to my favorite fishing hole (about 7 miles from the launch). I am interested in the 3.5hp merc/tohatsu as a new primary. If you dont mind, I have a couple of questions for you.

1. I fish either by myself or with one other guy. I weigh 230Lbs and my buddy does as well. How well do you feel the 3.5 would handle the load of just me and me and my buddy?

2. What kind of top speed do you think i would be able to get out of it with just me and what do you think me and my buddy would be able to pull?

In all questions i am assuming no wind and less than 12" of chop. The boat with just me will pull about 3mph using the 30lbs of thrust trolling motor.

Any info would be soooo greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
Derrek C. Westbie
Old 11-06-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Should handle you and your buddy just fine. Don't know what the top speed would be since I haven't measured it using the GPS. You'll probably get five knots out of it, since it can probably put the porta-bote up on plane with just you in it... haven't tried it much since porta-botes row pretty well.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-07-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Honda is normally a great company but they wanted nothing to do with him?? I don't believe all Honda's suffer this and he believes it was a manufacturing / paint issue..
For what it's worth, I've been using my Honda 2 all summer and it still looks brand new. It never stays lowered in the water, however, and in fact is stowed aboard in a dry forepeak on its own mount.

I mean, that's sort of the point: it's easy to stow, so you might as well.

To the OP: Tohatsu/Nissan was my second choice after the Honda, which I chose because I like the idea of air-cooling and because I have had a Honda BF100 (23 years old, still works perfectly) and a Honda 2000EU genset. I am familiar with their little ways.
Old 11-10-2008

Derrek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Should handle you and your buddy just fine. Don't know what the top speed would be since I haven't measured it using the GPS. You'll probably get five knots out of it, since it can probably put the porta-bote up on plane with just you in it... haven't tried it much since porta-botes row pretty well.
Thanks for the info i really appreciate it!
I have noticed that i can row the boat with myself only to almost a plane...I love my tough little porta-bote. Did you get the sail kit with yours?

Sincerely,
Derrek
Old 11-10-2008

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
We bought the tohatsu 4 hp for our new walker bay 8 air floor tender. I like the advantage of having the external tank on it and never worry about running low on fuel when we take our 1r or 11/2 hour dinghy rides up rivers and creeks when we anchor. For a few more lbs and 1/2 hp you have both and internal tank and a hookup for an external one which we primarily use.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-22-2009
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
reviving the old Tohatsu thread

Didn't want to start a new thread for this...

I've been researching outboards for a couple months now and have pretty much decided on the Tohatsu 3.5 but before i take the final plunge i wanted to get a little more feedback from current owners. Are you still happy with it? Anything happend that has made you wish you chose differently?

I'd prefer not to buy new and have also been looking at 2 stroke 2-3.3 HP models such as Johnsons and Evinrudes. I really want the 3.3 Johnson but can't seem to find one available. The main concerns are the usual: weight, reliablilty, cost, etc.

Any thoughts before we go out and buy a new Tohatsu?

Thank you!