Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-21-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
Forward Nav Light Wiring

Hello!

I had an open circuit in a wire leading from my anchor locker through my bowrail to the forward bow light.

The open was within the length of wire in the bowrail.

The pair of wires (16-18 ga.) led from aft into the anchor locker where there were splices. Then it was fed into the bow rail. However, the wires were pinched between a backing plate of the bowrail and the underside of the deck.

I removed the backing plate and one wire was severed at the pinch point. The other was still intact.

I removed the broken wire and attempted to fish a new pair through the bowrail with the intact wire. Crap. It broke halfway through no matter how careful I was feeding and pulling.

Ok.. I have 2 questions.

1) Anyone know an easy way to feed wires through a bowrail? I'll try to post pics on Sat.

2) This can't be the way Sabre built the boat. The wires broke because the bow rail had some "docking" incidents. And eventually just wore through the wire. There appears to be no hole in the stainless backing plate, should I drill a hole, feed the wires through and seal it? What's the right way here?

Thanks,
All the best,
Craig
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I love
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2008

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
I wonder if weedeater line cutter line would work? It is quite thick but flexible.
Old 02-21-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_gee View Post
I wonder if weedeater line cutter line would work? It is quite thick but flexible.
Great idea... thanks.

I love
Old 02-21-2008
Arf!

pegasus1457 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtoo View Post
There appears to be no hole in the stainless backing plate, should I drill a hole, feed the wires through and seal it? What's the right way here?
I would drill a hole. But why seal it? Are you trying to keep the interior of the bow pulpit dry? Or the anchor locker? The anchor locker has a drain -- or at least it should. Instead of a seal I would drill an oversize hole and install a rubber grommet to prevent chafing.
Old 02-21-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasus1457 View Post
I would drill a hole. But why seal it? Are you trying to keep the interior of the bow pulpit dry? Or the anchor locker? The anchor locker has a drain -- or at least it should. Instead of a seal I would drill an oversize hole and install a rubber grommet to prevent chafing.

You're right... the sealing isn't so critical.. I was concerened that the hole through the deck into the bowrail may allow some moisture to penetrate into the deck from a potentially wet anchor locker... but that's probably pretty miniscule.

Anchor locker has a drain yes... The grommet is exactly what is on the front where the wires exit the bowrail...

Thanks,
craig

I love
Old 02-21-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
A boat electric guy I know started me using old clutch cable wires as messenger lines for pulling cable...stiff yet flexible and often easy to find old, discarded ones around a boatyard. You can also coil it up into a circle for compact storage on board.

I would exit the wire from the pulpit on deck and use a cable clam to run it below which will make future access easier and assure a leak free installation.
Old 02-21-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
A boat electric guy I know started me using old clutch cable wires as messenger lines for pulling cable...stiff yet flexible and often easy to find old, discarded ones around a boatyard. You can also coil it up into a circle for compact storage on board.

I would exit the wire from the pulpit on deck and use a cable clam to run it below which will make future access easier and assure a leak free installation.

Thanks for the clutch cable tip...

What's a cable clam? How does it help future access?

(sorry, mechanical engineer....and not a very good one... )

I love
Old 02-21-2008

thekeip is on a distinguished road
NO, there is no easy way to fish a wire through a pulpit. There may be an EASIER way, but not easy. Hint: pay attention to the way the rails are put together..it may be that some rails 'pass through' ; others are dead ended. You'll never fish through a dead end....obvious, yes? This includes the backing plate. If you get that far, by all means, drill it.
keip
Old 02-21-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekeip View Post
NO, there is no easy way to fish a wire through a pulpit. There may be an EASIER way, but not easy. Hint: pay attention to the way the rails are put together..it may be that some rails 'pass through' ; others are dead ended. You'll never fish through a dead end....obvious, yes? This includes the backing plate. If you get that far, by all means, drill it.
keip
Yep! Discussed this point with the Yard owner. Great point.

There are "one way connections"....

Thanks,
craig

I love
Old 02-21-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
This is a cable clam. You put the cable through then scew down and the gasket material gets compressed around the wire making a water seal. Easy to take wire back through if you need to replace or adjust at some point. It is always a good idea to leave a loop of wire below decks on deck lights so as corrosion takes place on deck you can cut back and pull a bit more through.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|328|49758|112306|316467&id=28645

They come in different sizes depending on your cable.