SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

How do I remove old reg. numbers from my inflatable?

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I bought a used Achilles hypalon inflatable that has registration numbers painted on the hull. The state (Ca.) issued me new CF numbers, which I need to put on the hull. How do I remove the old paint?
Thanks.

#3 ·
You can also tape out a rectangle and using white paint, paint over the old numbers, then w/ a contrasting paint, do the new numbers. If you have an artistic touch, you could do a 'shadow' or some design around the white rectangle to make it look like that's the way you intended it to be all along. Make sure you use paints that are suited to the material your painting on.

That's what we did when I decided to replace the boat's name with the documentation number on the dinghy. The "patch" looks good and has held up well.

#6 ·
Chuckles-

Hypalon fabric shouldn't have oils in it...

Daren23-

Acetone, being a fairly agressive solvent can damage some plastics, but apparently isn't all that harmful to Hypalon. YMMV... test it carefully before proceeding though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.