Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-23-2008

dorourke is on a distinguished road
Red face re wiring mast

As soon as it's warm enough that my toung won't stick to the mast I will be re wiring it. I can find all the perco replacement lenses but I can't find any of the sockets that are used for the steaming and anchor lights. Does anyone know where to find them?, or maybe I am stuck re working them. I've also concidered replacing the lights with LED's. Any help there would also be appretiated as well.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
At a guess, I wouldn't be suprised if you couldn't just buy the whole light cheaper than the parts. Replacing the anchor light with an LED one would be worth the effort. The steaming light, not so much, as the motor would be running anyway.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-23-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
A subject close to my heart and something I need to do as I found an old extension cord was powering the spreader lights. I'm not sure where to begin.
Old 02-23-2008

badsanta is on a distinguished road
I vote for LED. I replaced all of mine. I went from the small aquia signal 25 to a 40 with led bulbes. I cant under stand why the boat makers put the small marble size light on. You can hardly see them on a clear night much less with weather. You can see me clearly now. Now much brighter with much less power If you go led replacement bulb, make sure you match the color red led for red lense green led for green lense or use clear. you get funky colors if you use a white led under a colored lense. Not all sail boats have a tricolor mast head light. Be sure to figure the amp load and use proper size wire. I did call the Coast Guard about my lights and was told to go as large as I liked, that most installed were the minimum size required. But larger was fine.
GO BIG GO BRIGHT
Old 02-23-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd second going with LED-based nav lights, especially for the anchor and tricolor fixtures, since these are often on for long periods of time without the engine running.

LED-fixtures are also going to be lower maintenance, in general, than regular fixtures, since LEDs are relatively well sealed, long lived, and basically maintenance free.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-24-2008

Where do I look for LED supplies and how to's? What is the most reputable source? Any recomendations?
Old 02-24-2008

badsanta is on a distinguished road
google, ebay, Dr. LED. orca. Lots of sites.
Old 02-24-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I have the Orca Green Marine Tricolor/Anchor LED fixture on my boat, and think it is great. Brighter than a lot of the other anchor lights out there. Also available with a strobe feature and/or a photocell.

As for other LED options, some of the bulb replacements have recently gotten USCG certification for certain fixtures, but many are not certified. Don't get one that isn't USCG certified, as it may leave you open to liability if someone hits you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorourke View Post
Where do I look for LED supplies and how to's? What is the most reputable source? Any recomendations?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-02-2008

Sorry to revive this thread so late, I forgot to ask about wire gauge.
What gauge and what type of wire should I use for the steaming and anchor light, I've found the LED's to use just not the wire.
Old 03-02-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
14gauge 2 conductor marine wire is what you need.
http://www.boatelectric.com/products_pdf/wire_cable/Duplex%20Standard%20&%20Triplex.pdf