Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-29-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, but they have to be really short lag bolts... HS, you're s a sick and twisted puppy... I can see someone winning a darwin award cause they tried to mount something to the battery case from reading what you wrote... there are some awfully dumb people out there.

Good point about the breaker... I don't know what the surge limit on it is. The situation we were using it in, the surge wasn't really a major concern. The battery wasn't ever going to be used for starting the boat through that wire, since it was a windlass battery, and that was on the wiring going back to the main electrical system for charging the windlass battery. Since it was connected by an ACR unit, and not directly hooked up to the main electrical system, there's never going to be more than 100 amps going through the breaker.

BTW, according to the BlueSea site, those breakers I pointed out are good for up to 3000 Amps surge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Those fuse blocks sd posted, can be mounted directly on the battery with size 00 lag bolts, right into the side of the case and through the plates.

KIDDING!

But Scotch exterior-grade double-sided tape, or hot melt glue, or a good adhesive caulk, or the self-adhesive industrial strength velcro, will all make reasonable alternatives. Or you can mount them to a small plate, make a 3/4" hole in it, and let the battery terminal itself stick up through the hole to "anchor" the plate. All sorts of ways.

SD, unless that breaker is one of the special ones that can carry a 5000A surge without fusing shut--it isn't for battery primary service. The conventional breakers all arc shut (useless) with loads around 3500A, and a good battery can put that out into a dead short. The good breakers are damn closed to $100 each.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 02-29-2008 at 07:39 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-29-2008
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
SD-
I figured, if they used lag bolts and blew themselves up at the dock, I could save them from a painful slow death at sea, so I'd really be doing them a favor, right?

Actually the problem with breakers welding, is that if you drop a wrench across the cables, or something chafes through and grounds, THAT'S when you get get the dead short close enough to the battery to pull 3500+A and weld a breaker. I learned that while I was shopping for breakers, and one of the nice folks who makes them told me "Uh, you really want a fuse for that". Go figure.

Now, if you use really big LONG lag bolts and an air hammer to install them, you can skip those pesky extra battery hold-down straps, and just bolt the whole thing to the outer hull in one shot, can't you?

This is why WalMart stopped selling them home knee-you-clee-er hot water heaters with the rotissery spit attachments, isn't it?
Old 02-29-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
HS-

I want to get a Mr. Fusion for my boat... a lot lighter than all those pesky batteries..... and only a little radiation to worry about.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.