Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-29-2008
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Decal removal

Did a search and found these suggestions.
Decal Removal

The old boat name is on the topside/hull of the boat at the rear, and its really bad looking. Can I still use oven cleaner and the other recomended chemicals in the link to remove the decal from my hull? Thanks.
Old 02-29-2008
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
If it's a decal (meaning vinyl lettering as opposed to paint) then use a hair dryer and plastic scraper to remove it. The use Goof Off or even WD-40 to remove the sticky residue. If it's paint, most people say to use oven cleaner to remove it.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-29-2008

gclayton is on a distinguished road
If you can peel off the decal, PEANUT BUTTER is great at removing the sticky residue. Just spread it on wait a few and wipe off. (You can add fluff and jelly to suit)

"Nothing on land prepares you for the scale of the Sea.
It's principle dimensions lie beyond the muscle of language to gather it in."
Old 02-29-2008
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Like Mitch says, oven cleaner is mainly for paint. It is lye, a strong alkali, and it will soften or stain the gelcoat if you don't thoroughly neutralize it (with a mild acid like vinegar) and then wash it off very thoroughly.

Whether it is paint or vinyl (to me a decal is a water-transfer slide that you put on plastic models) don't be surprised if it leaves a "shadow" because the gelcoat has worn around it, and there's now a white raised ghost of the old name after it is all removed.
Old 02-29-2008

resdog is on a distinguished road
For an old, cracked, peeling, baked on vinyl decal I've used 3M's stripe removal wheels. They have several types.

3M Abrasives : Molding Adhesive and Stripe Removal Discs

3M Abrasives : Stripe Off Wheels

Remove the glue residue with 3M's adhesive remover.

3M eStore: 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner 08984, 1 qt (US)

I've got 2 sides of nasty Beneteau decals to remove myself. If the decals are still soft and pliable a heat gun works to lift the decal then remove the glue residue.

You can find all these products at a real automotive supply house. Don't even bother with AutoZone and that ilk.
Old 02-29-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
WestMarine = AutoZone for boats. Not a real chandlery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by resdog View Post
For an old, cracked, peeling, baked on vinyl decal I've used 3M's stripe removal wheels. They have several types.

3M Abrasives : Molding Adhesive and Stripe Removal Discs

3M Abrasives : Stripe Off Wheels

Remove the glue residue with 3M's adhesive remover.

3M eStore: 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner 08984, 1 qt (US)

I've got 2 sides of nasty Beneteau decals to remove myself. If the decals are still soft and pliable a heat gun works to lift the decal then remove the glue residue.

You can find all these products at a real automotive supply house. Don't even bother with AutoZone and that ilk.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-29-2008
Banned

bushrat is on a distinguished road
This month in Good Old Boat there was a great suggestion for a product made to do this job. It is a plastic razor blade available at W--- M-----.
I just picked a pack of five up as I have to replace my decal boat name as well. I have used a real razor and a ton of wd 40 for lube with care but I think these look like the cats meow.
Old 02-29-2008

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
This month in Good Old Boat there was a great suggestion for a product made to do this job. It is a plastic razor blade available at W--- M-----.
I just picked a pack of five up as I have to replace my decal boat name as well. I have used a real razor and a ton of wd 40 for lube with care but I think these look like the cats meow.
Have used the plastic razor and it works well to remove a decal from my boat. Heated the decal with a heat gun and scraped it up with the razor. A 2 foot by 3 foot decal took 20 minutes to remove.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 03-01-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you use real steel single-edge razor blades, I highly recommend rounding off the corners, since it'll save you a lot of damage to the gelcoat.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-01-2008

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
I used a putty knife with slightly rounded corners and a blow dryer set on "high". Worked great, was cheap, fast, and didn't mar the gelcoat. The name was really old and on tight.