Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2011

Argyle38 is on a distinguished road
I've been using the raster charts with the Maptech software. I print them to PDF and then have them printed out, full scale on a large format printer/plotter that I have at work. (I only do that for the charts that want a paper copy of, which is a small subset of the software charts that I've downloaded.)

The raster charts actually incrementally update with the NTM's. I just downloaded my home chart and the NTM changes show up on the newly downloaded chart. My paper chart was just printed last spring and the last "full" printing of the chart is 12/06.

But they are BW hogs, that's why I thought there would be an easy way to just get the text updates to update the charts.
Downeaster 38 #40

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2011

Orksail is on a distinguished road
Seaclear with Windows 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twcook View Post
SeaClear II works fine on Windows 7.
Iíve installed Seaclear with charts of UK waters from visitmyharbour, together with g7towin.
My Garmin GPS72 handheld is communicating OK with g7towin but I cannot get Seaclear to download my old routes. My Positions and routes import OK but the GPS menu in Seaclear remains disabled (greyed out).
Have you any suggestions?
Iím running on Windows 7 Ė could this be the problem?
Old 10-11-2011
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orksail View Post
Iíve installed Seaclear with charts of UK waters from visitmyharbour, together with g7towin.
My Garmin GPS72 handheld is communicating OK with g7towin but I cannot get Seaclear to download my old routes. My Positions and routes import OK but the GPS menu in Seaclear remains disabled (greyed out).
Have you any suggestions?
Iím running on Windows 7 Ė could this be the problem?
g7towin needs to be in the same folder as the SeaClear executable. On WindowsXP this is C:\Program Files\SeaClear .

g7towin will launch and run fine from a different location, but SeaClear's GPS menu will only enable if g7towin is in the right location.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 10-11-2011

ruosis is on a distinguished road
I obviously need some help setting up Sea Clear. Could someone give plain English directions on how to download NOAA charts and get SeaClear to read them. Thanks.
Old 10-12-2011

whorne is on a distinguished road
These 10 steps worked for me

1. Download raster charts from NOAA.
2. Open MapcalII utility. This is a seperate program from Seaclear. You will find it in your Start menu.
3. (IN Mapcal) Tools--Set Directories.
4. (Mapcal) Assign the path to the file you just downloaded.
5. (Mapcal) Click OK.
6. (Mapcal) Tools-->Autoload list-->scan for new charts.
7. (Mapcal) Tools-->Autoload List-->recreate.
8. Close Mapcal.
9. Restart Seaclear (if it was open while using Mapcal).
10. (In Seaclear) File-->chart-->list all.
Old 10-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
g7towin needs to be in the same folder as the SeaClear executable. On WindowsXP this is C:\Program Files\SeaClear .

g7towin will launch and run fine from a different location, but SeaClear's GPS menu will only enable if g7towin is in the right location.
Many thanks - I'm up and running now! I had the g7t FOLDER in the seaclear folder but that is not sufficient. The g7t file must be expanded and the g7t.exe file dragged in alongside Seaclear. This enables the GPS menu in seaclear.
Old 10-12-2011

whorne is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruosis View Post
I obviously need some help setting up Sea Clear. Could someone give plain English directions on how to download NOAA charts and get SeaClear to read them. Thanks.
Here is a fleshed-out version of the list in my previous post. I hope I haven't been to effusive here.

1. Download raster charts from NOAA.

You may want to have a temporary folder set up to store the downloaded files in before you go to this link:
Nautical Charts & Pubs

Download the files from the NOAA website to the temporary folder.

Extract the zip file contents to the temporary folder.

Set up a folder to store the charts so that they will be accessed from Seaclear. This can be anywhere on your harddrive but it makes sense to put it under programfiles\seaclear\charts. You will "tell" Seaclear where these files are in a later step. For discussion, lets call this "the working folder".

Use Windows Search to find all the KAP (.kap) files in the temporary folder. Be sure Search is set up to search in subfolders.

In the search results, select all the files or, if you know the chart numbers that you want, just select those.

Move these files to the folder you set up for Seaclear to use, the working folder.

Now you've got the chart files (.kap) where you want them. You need to tell Seaclear where they are. You do this by creating a database file that Seaclear will read to get the chart locations, the coordinates of the borders so that it can select the correct chart and other chart information such as scale. Mapcal is a program that creates this database file for Seaclear. You can specify the chart folder using the tools menu and selecting "Set Directories". Then Mapcal will read the filenames in the folder when you select "Scan for new charts" from the tools--->Autoload list menu". Next I select "update" from the tools--->autolist menu but I'm not sure what this does and may not be necessary. The final step in Mapcal is to select "recreate" from the tools--->autolist menu. This last step writes the database file that Seaclear will use enabling it to select and open chart files. When you open Seaclear, it will open this database and will be able to list and open your charts. The following steps-list summarizes this process. I did not make this list and it does not include the "Update" step I mentioned above. If anyone can tell me what the function of "update" is, thanks in advance.

2. Open MapcalII utility. This is a seperate program from Seaclear. You will find it in your Start menu.
3. (IN Mapcal) Tools--Set Directories.
4. (Mapcal) Assign the path to the working folder. Hit the button to the right to browse to the folder. Or, you can edit the list by typing in the box.
5. (Mapcal) Click OK.
6. (Mapcal) Tools-->Autoload list-->scan for new charts.
7. (Mapcal) Tools-->Autoload List-->recreate.
8. Close Mapcal.
9. Restart Seaclear (if it was open while using Mapcal).
10. (In Seaclear) File-->chart-->list all.

You may want to delete the temporary folder that you used for the download to free space on your computer.

Note, that to the best of my knowledge, Seaclear only uses files with the extension .kap and .wci. The .bsb and .ptc files that come from NOAA are not needed.

Disclaimer: I am submitting this post in an effort to be helpful. If I got something wrong, I am very sorry. I suspect I will still get stomped-on by someone, if history is any indication.
Old 10-12-2011

SailingStNick is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SailingStNick
No Mac version...boo
Old 10-27-2011

My Garmin72 GPS(dangled out the window!) is sending NMEA 0185 to SeaClear installed on my desktop PC (Windows 7) so long as I select 4800 baud rate and the correct COM port (which I can read in Devices & Printers). However when I try to do the same on a laptop running Windows XP there is no communication. I connected the Garmin through a USB port in both cases. Do I need to instal a driver with Windows XP?
Old 10-27-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orksail View Post
Do I need to instal a driver with Windows XP?
Switch to either Polar Navy or OpenCPN. MUCH easier to use and they are both fully supported and have good customer support.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne