Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2011
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orksail View Post
My Garmin72 GPS(dangled out the window!) is sending NMEA 0185 to SeaClear installed on my desktop PC (Windows 7) so long as I select 4800 baud rate and the correct COM port (which I can read in Devices & Printers). However when I try to do the same on a laptop running Windows XP there is no communication. I connected the Garmin through a USB port in both cases. Do I need to instal a driver with Windows XP?
I can understand why you want to make SeaClear work. OpenCPN is very nice for many applications, but I still like SeaClear better for some things. My 30 day trial with PolarNavy was a disaster. I thought it was very non-intuitive, although YMMV.

The problem you describe is well known for SeaClear, and emanates from the fact that USB is not part of the NMEA standard. For many programs that expect true NMEA, you need a software emulator that is designed to take the USB signal and map it to a COM port. My Garmin Oregon 400c works under SeaClear using Garmin's Spanner software, available for free download. Try that first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 10-27-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-06-2013

LeeV is on a distinguished road
SeaClear II won't recognize my Garmin 76cx

I don't have a serial port available, although I imagine I can find a serial cable for the gps, but I can't understand why SeaClear ii won't recognize usb ports. I can get maps in, etc... but can't hook up this dang gps! Ideas?
Old 09-06-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Anybody tried SeaClear II free nav software?

SeaClear hasn't been updated or supported in ages. It was created to fill a hole when there was no free nav software available. That's no longer the case. You might want to try a different program. This thread is two years old and the two major software programs (OpenCPN and Polar Navy) have been continually updated and have good customer support.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 09-06-2013

whorne is on a distinguished road

If your GPS has a serial interface you can get an adapter for the computer that will give it a serial port. If your GPS has a USB interface you're out of luck.
Old 09-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
SeaClear hasn't been updated or supported in ages. It was created to fill a hole when there was no free nav software available. That's no longer the case. You might want to try a different program. This thread is two years old and the two major software programs (OpenCPN and Polar Navy) have been continually updated and have good customer support.
Thanks for the response. I'm looking at them, but it seems they do not readily connect to a USB driven hand-held gps either!

Thanks,
~LeeV
Old 09-06-2013

kunkwriter is on a distinguished road

I use it all the time. Bought a usb gps online for five bucks. Need to use the mapcal program inside the downloaded file to put the charts in the program. It's a bit more work then some other programs, but when put on automatic, I find it works as well or better.
Old 09-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkwriter View Post
I use it all the time. Bought a usb gps online for five bucks. Need to use the mapcal program inside the downloaded file to put the charts in the program. It's a bit more work then some other programs, but when put on automatic, I find it works as well or better.
Let me make sure I understand - you have a gps connected by a USB port and it's communicating with SeaClear?? I have the mapcal part worked out with the charts; I just can't get SeaClear to see my GPS (USB).
Old 09-07-2013

I have a g-star IV usb gps. The seaclear program reads it automatically as long as it is connected to a usb port on your computer. When I bought a new laptop, I opened the program, plugged in the gps, and it read it again, without me telling it what port. When it's not plugged in it will tell me it can't read from that port, so seaclear begins looking for it. I've never had a problem and use it as my primary nav. I sail the SF bay area and the california coast. I bought the gps on ebay for 6.99. Just looked and they're up to 20 bucks, but that's still cheap.
Old 09-07-2013

If it's not reading your gps, maybe go into the tools section, look at the 'comm' tab, and try manually checking the different ports. ONe of them should work.
Old 09-07-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Sea Clear is one of the first plotting programs but is pretty limited nowadays. It will only read Raster format, available from NOAA but few other sources. It will not read ENC format. You can create your own raster charts of other areas by using GE pictures but I wouldn't trust these. Almost free is the Polar Navy program which is a great little program for little money.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.