LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2009

mattosdf is on a distinguished road
3.5hp

is this siimilar to evinrude 3.3?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-25-2011

Diamondjet is on a distinguished road
Resurrected thread. Found that new carb for 4hp Tohatsu is $108. Rebuild about 40-50. I haven't heard anybody point out that the Tohatsu/Nissan is almost impossible to throughly clean. The choke butterfly, carb intake butterfly linkage and choke linkage are plastic and I have not been able to remove them from the carb body prior to soaking the carb in cleaner (and I'm not sure it won't melt in carb cleaner). Factory manual is weakly written for 'how to' but does give assembly order and specifications. The idle jet is under a brass plug and can be difficult to remove. The main jet often corrodes in its' threads and the brass screwdriver slot can give way before the jet releases. If. any reader has solutions to the above I'd sure like to hear them. I hate to replace the carb every few years and fortunately I've just found a source for alcohol free gasoline a couple of blocks from my house which may extend the time between cleanings.
Old 12-26-2011
Hinterhoeller HR28

pvanv1 is on a distinguished road
Difference btw M3.5B and MFS4

Diamond,

The OP was talking about the old 3.5B, with slide type throttle. Yours is an entirely different animal. We clean them all the time (few a week) in my shop. Must be done in carb dip. Period. Better yet, if your carb was abused by letting gas sit in it too long... for your MFS4... would be to install a new carb for the MFS6B (identical powerheads), and clean up the old carb as a spare. 50% more hp, too. We do it all the time.
Buffalo, NY USA
Old 12-26-2011

pvan1.....do you remove the plastic parts prior to carb dip? I found the manual did not refer to this and the plastic parts don't just 'pop' off. The choke butterfly appears to be press fit in a slot on the intake side and the levers for both throttle and choke are apparently press fit on pins. Is that the way it is??
Old 12-26-2011

captflood is on a distinguished road
GREETINGS EARTHLINGS sounds like your treating the symtoms and not the curse it must need an extra fuel fillter if there is space for it GO SAFE
Old 12-26-2011

I'll replace fuel filter and try it. Idling is poor on both my '05 Nissan 4hp and 2001 Tohatsu 5hp. Nissan just got the carb and new fuel filter. Tohatsu in my shop now. BTW...............How important is ethanol free gasoline?
Old 12-26-2011

GREETINGS EARTHLINGS Always let your fuel sit for a while before you put it in the tank too let the water seperate then fillter then place in fuel tank GO SAFE
Old 12-26-2011

skygazer is on a distinguished road
Can't buy ethanol free gas around here that I know of. Captflood, what do you do with the water at the bottom of the gas can if it separates out? Isn't it part gas part water?

Burn pile??
Old 12-26-2011
Banned

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer View Post
Can't buy ethanol free gas around here that I know of. Captflood, what do you do with the water at the bottom of the gas can if it separates out? Isn't it part gas part water?

Burn pile??
Berryman's B-12 fuel additive "absorbes" the water and it goes out the exhaust. No affiliation, it just works for me for many years, no fuel related problems during that time. Suggest reading the instructions, it can melt paint and some plastics, good stuff!!, they will probably ban it in California soon, it works that well.

Dabnis
Old 12-27-2011

GREETINGS EARTHLINGS. Any leftover deposits or fluids that are unwanted and are in need of dissposal I normaly feed to the weeds in my drive (Dandylions Mainly), Or go into a bottle used to wash-down engine bits, GO SAFE

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.