Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2011

LakeSuperiorGeezer is on a distinguished road
In Wisconsin the premium gasoline (91 octane) does not have any alcohol.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-28-2011
Hinterhoeller HR28

pvanv1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
Paul,

I can only speak from my own experience.I put some gas in a coffee can, added some B-12 fuel additive, and the water was no longer visible, apparently blending with the gas to be burned away? As mentioned earlier I have used it for many years in many different motors, both 2 & 4 stroke with no fuel related problems. Of course, using it is voluntary, and your mileage may vary

Dabnis
Quite possible. We get the same effect from the K-100 additives, which we sell and use. The K-100 is an emulsifier of some kind, and not a bad thing. However, with E gas, once it has separated, you can't "put the genie back in the bottle". The alcohol is used as an octane booster, amongst other things, and the "restored" fuel will still be below octane specifications, causing other problems as well. It's a cheat that may get you by. Still preferable to run fresh, clean gas.
Buffalo, NY USA
Old 12-28-2011

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvanv1 View Post
Quite possible. We get the same effect from the K-100 additives, which we sell and use. The K-100 is an emulsifier of some kind, and not a bad thing. However, with E gas, once it has separated, you can't "put the genie back in the bottle". The alcohol is used as an octane booster, amongst other things, and the "restored" fuel will still be below octane specifications, causing other problems as well. It's a cheat that may get you by. Still preferable to run fresh, clean gas.
What are your thoughts on something like this:

Cabela's: Nissan Fuel/Water Separator and Replacement Filter

Dabnis
Old 12-29-2011
Hinterhoeller HR28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
What are your thoughts on something like this:

Cabela's: Nissan Fuel/Water Separator and Replacement Filter

Dabnis
I sell them and recommend them.
Buffalo, NY USA
Old 12-29-2011

Quote:
I sell them and recommend them.
OK, so noted. Thanks for the reply.

Dabnis
Old 07-31-2012

LittleDevil is on a distinguished road
Re: Difference btw M3.5B and MFS4

Quote:
Diamond,

The OP was talking about the old 3.5B, with slide type throttle. Yours is an entirely different animal. We clean them all the time (few a week) in my shop. Must be done in carb dip. Period. Better yet, if your carb was abused by letting gas sit in it too long... for your MFS4... would be to install a new carb for the MFS6B (identical powerheads), and clean up the old carb as a spare. 50% more hp, too. We do it all the time.
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I have a 2008 Mercury 3.5HP 4 stroke. Will this carb (MFS4) fit that as well? Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Writer/Director/Producer
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-01-2012
Hinterhoeller HR28

Re: tohatsu 3.5 won't run without choking

Nope. The 3.5 4-st is the "big brother" of the 2.5, and is already upgraded.
Buffalo, NY USA
Old 08-01-2012

Okay thanks. Well I changed the plug, cleaned out the tank, cleaned out the carb, cleaned out the petcock, cleaned out the lines, cleaned the air screen, blew out and cleaned the air lines that run to the bottom of the engine compartment and put fresh premium fuel in. I wasn't sure how many turns to put on the one screw in the back of the carb, so I screwed it all the way in until the spring bottomed out, and then turned it out 2-3/4 turns, which from memory, should be about right. I put the tank back on and now I can't get to the adjustment screw. Seems like a dumb design but oh well.

I started it right up and it actually idled great with the choke off. Problem is that it still will not run once you throttle up, unless you choke it about half way. I opened the fuel cap to see if that helped. Same deal. This is what it was doing before. Has anyone figured this out? I was pretty meticulous about cleaning out all parts of the carb and jets, although I could not figure out how to get the float off without breaking the clip that holds it on. I did my best to spray that out and confirmed cleaner was squirting out another part of the carb.

I got this motor as a package with a sailboat, and it has never worked right. This is the second time I've tried cleaning it. Oh and I recently read about an inline filter. That is one thing I did not find. Can anyone tell where that is and how to take it out, clean or replace it?

Any other advice here?

Writer/Director/Producer

Old 08-01-2012

I had a Honda 2HP. It had a very small fine mesh filter inside the fuel line just at the tank outlet. You can't see it from the outside. Yours may be similar?

Paul T
Old 08-01-2012

I'm guessing you just pluck it out? If so, how do you get it back in? I'll dump the fuel and take a look. Thanks.

Writer/Director/Producer