SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   barrier coat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/41052-barrier-coat.html)

BarryL 03-03-2008 03:13 PM

barrier coat
 
Hello,

Now that spring is almost here, and the old bottom paint has been soda blasted off my boat, I need to decide on a barrier coat.

I plan on using PCA Gold Antifouling Paint with Irgarol from West Marine (please no comments on West Marine, their sale prices are very good), so I need a barrier coat that would be compatible with that paint.

What is the difference between Interlux Interprotect 2000E and Interprotect 3000? How does Petit Protect compare?

I would be applying the barrier coat with a roller, if that means anything.

Barry

Freesail99 03-03-2008 04:03 PM

Barry, are you removing all the bottom paint first ?

sailingdog 03-03-2008 04:16 PM

Freesail-

He had the boat bottom sodablasted... :) So it's pretty safe to assume he removed the old bottom paint.:)

Barry-

The 2000E is what I'd recommend. The 3000 is a low-VOC emissions product developed for California's tighter emissions regulations IIRC, but is basically the same stuff, if a bit more expensive. It also has a lower working temperature than 2000E IIRC.

KeelHaulin 03-03-2008 08:09 PM

A 5 gallon kit of MAS epoxy would also give excellent blister protection; you can apply it with a foam roller. Save any excess resin/hardener for future boat projects.

wchevron 03-03-2008 09:57 PM

what is the difference between a barrier coat and anti-fouling paint?

T37Chef 03-03-2008 10:09 PM

barrier coat prevents water intrusion into the fiberglass, anti fouling resit marine growth build up. Two completely different things.

Learn more here by clicking the info at the very top of the page...Pettit Marine Paints - About Pettit

wchevron 03-03-2008 10:14 PM

so i'm assuming barrier coat first, then anti-fouling. i'm not trying to hijack the thread but rather than start another on the same topic, what would be a good barrier & anti-fouling for a cat 30 located in rhode island. most of my sailing would be in narragansett bay and surrounding area. i'm getting the bottom soda blasted the end of march.

Freesail99 03-03-2008 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeelHaulin (Post 275907)
A 5 gallon kit of MAS epoxy would also give excellent blister protection; you can apply it with a foam roller. Save any excess resin/hardener for future boat projects.

5 gallons ??? Do you have any idea how much that is ? A gallon of epoxy and hardner would put at least 4 maybe 5 coats of epoxy on a 35 ft. boat.

sailingdog 03-03-2008 10:23 PM

I don't think so Freesail. Paint will generally cover 400 sq. feet and epoxy covers a bit less generally. A 35' boat might be 30' LWL, and be 10' wide and 5' from water line to keel bottom... 30' x 10' is 300 sq. ft. I don't see it covering that four or five times.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freesail99 (Post 276028)
5 gallons ??? Do you have any idea how much that is ? A gallon of epoxy and hardner would put at least 4 maybe 5 coats of epoxy on a 35 ft. boat.


Freesail99 03-03-2008 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 276035)
I don't think so Freesail. Paint will generally cover 400 sq. feet and epoxy covers a bit less generally. A 35' boat might be 30' LWL, and be 10' wide and 5' from water line to keel bottom... 30' x 10' is 300 sq. ft. I don't see it covering that four or five times.

Sorry dog, this is first hand knowledge. One gallon put 5 coats with some left over on a 31 ft boat. Resin isn't paint.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012