SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Dyneema eye splice (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/41067-dyneema-eye-splice.html)

bobmcgov 03-04-2008 12:32 AM

Dyneema eye splice

The Samson website makes it look suspiciously easy -- taper the bitter end, shove it up the middle of the standing line, and exit to one side. Cross stitch, you're at 90-100% of rated strength.

Am I missing something, or is it that simple to eye-splice a Class2 12-strand line? I need a bridle to serve as split backstay. Should I add thimbles to the eyes? One will be shackled to a chainplate, the other to a boomvang. Dyneema (3/8" Amsteel Blue) is okay to run over a 3"d block, yes/no?

If splicing it is really this simple, I can save $40 and do it myself. If not, the pros can do it.

bestfriend 03-04-2008 12:38 AM

Not simple at all. I am pretty good at splicing, but that stuff is hard to do right. Even when I take it to the pros, it can come out too long or too thick. Tricky stuff in my experience. I should ask for clarification, are you talking about the dyneema core line or just the dyneema itself? The dyneema itself is not hard to splice. You're link does not work.

jimmyb116 03-04-2008 12:41 AM

use the instructions on the marlow site much stronger it is easy but you need to practice on scrap first

jimmyb116 03-04-2008 12:42 AM

also no on the thimbles only required on kevlar core

bestfriend 03-04-2008 12:45 AM

Okay, i got the link, that one is easy.

sailingdog 03-04-2008 08:47 AM

BF-

Be aware that if you're trying to splice a double-braid line with a dyneema core, you have to use a core-to-core splice, instead of a normal double braid splice, since most of the strength of a dyneema-cored line is in the core.

I'd recommend looking at the NE Ropes site, for info about how to do a core-to-core splice.

SailorMitch 03-04-2008 10:31 AM

Very timely thread for me. A friend bought a whole spool of Warpspeed and is cutting lengths of it for several of us who want some new halyards. My main halyard is Sta-Set X, which is OK but still has more stretch than I want. The Warpspeed will improve that a lot. I already have the Wichard shackle and want to splice it on as soon as my friend cuts the line. I did buy a piece of Warpspeed at Fawcett's in Annapolis for cheap (end of a spool) and will practice on that first. Been a long time since I spliced anything but would like to tackle this one. Thanks for all the pointers.

jimmyb116 03-04-2008 10:38 AM

I would suggest stripping the cover, as it is heavy on warp speed and not required for the halyard, just leave enough cover so that when the sail is fully hoisted the cover stops at the mast base. Also Use the splicing instructions from the Marlow site much stronger eye splice. Don’t forget to lock stitch or it will creep on you.

sailingdog 03-04-2008 11:45 AM

I wouldn't strip the cover, even if it is a bit heavy. The cover acts to protect the inner core from UV damage and abrasion.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyb116 (Post 276304)
I would suggest stripping the cover, as it is heavy on warp speed and not required for the halyard, just leave enough cover so that when the sail is fully hoisted the cover stops at the mast base. Also Use the splicing instructions from the Marlow site much stronger eye splice. Donít forget to lock stitch or it will creep on you.

jimmyb116 03-04-2008 11:51 AM

Warp speed is designed to have the cover striped the core is treated to be UV proof and abrasion resistant.