Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-04-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
This generally doesn't work on modern sailboats, since it will miss the entire turn of the bilge and most of the keel on a full-keel boat. On a fin keel, it'll miss sections of the hull adjacent to the keel and the sides of the keel as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjaldur View Post
Or you can use the ancient way of keelhauling. Two men pull in turn the same rope, going under the boat and by this clean the boat for barnacles etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2008

tjaldur is on a distinguished road
Agreed sailingdog that it will not take all of the barnacles but still it will take most of it and thus make the underwater job easier.
Old 03-04-2008

Stevyboy is on a distinguished road
Wow, thanks for all of the help guys. I'm going to tackle this job in a couple of weeks when my buddies bring up my snorkle stuff. My marina is fairly small so hopefully it isn't as nasty as all of the marina's you guys are talking about.
I think i'm going to use a scotchbrite pad and a plastic knife.

Steve
Old 03-04-2008

tjaldur is on a distinguished road
Good luck and be very carefull. Barnacles can be very sharp and make nasty cuts.
Old 03-04-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Good luck steve... keep us posted on how it goes. The hint about barnacles is a good one...they're nasty.

BTW, be careful if you're planning on doing this in a marina. If they have an AC leak, you can get into serious trouble pretty quickly. If you can, move the boat away from the marina and do it at anchor instead.

See these stories about electrocution in marinas... LINK LINK

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-04-2008
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
OK, now that all the amateurs have given their $.02, let's hear from somebody who actually cleans hulls for a living...

I use 3M "Doodlebug" pads to do the bulk of the cleaning. They are essentially industrial size Scotchbrite pads. They cover more territory quicker than their smaller cousins and that is of primary importance. You can get them at most chandleries. You can buy a handled holder for them as well, but these are ridiculously expensive. I make my own out of 1/8" foam PVC, the handle from a cheap mastic spreader and some marine grade Velcro. Maybe $10.00 worth of stuff, works great. Or you can always hold them in your hand. Lots of guys do.

I also go into the water with a 6" putty knife. The cheapest one Ace Hardware sells. Lasts many time longer than anything else I've used. This will shave off grass and shelled animals. Hopefully you don't find too much of either.

For the running gear, Rubbermaid makes a plastic wire brush with a scraper on the end. One of the most important tools I own.

Shaft zinc replacement will require either a flat-head screwdriver or an Allen wrench, depending on the brand of zinc you use. Attaching a wrist lanyard to either tool helps insure you don't have to go to the bottom looking for it.

Never clean a hull without wearing a hood, regardless of water temperature. The crud and bugs you take off the hull are good at finding places to hide. Don't let your ears be one of them. Don't worry too much about being electrocuted while in the water. Every marina in the state has divers working in them every day and they all go home safe at night. In 14 years of hull cleaning I have only heard one story of anybody being hurt and that was second or third hand at best. Unplug your boat from the shorepower before diving on it, though. Better safe than sorry.

Regardless of what your boat is painted with, it will need cleaning while you are in California waters. Remember that frequent, gentle cleanings are better for your paint and the environment than infrequent, more abrasive cleanings. This means every couple of months in Northern California and every 3-4 weeks in Southern California. BTW, since you plan to snorkle your way through you hull cleaning, you're gonna find out pretty quick why people pay to have it done for them.

Last edited by Fstbttms; 03-05-2008 at 12:17 AM.
Old 03-05-2008

Loewe is on a distinguished road
Aw cmon fast I can hold my breath long enough...ok maybe not lol. Have seen a lot of that around here. BTW the proper attitude of a Good diver is that they clean it like it will be hauled out tomorrow!

Regards,
Red
Old 03-05-2008
all these confusing ropes

dohenyboy is on a distinguished road
my diver uses a piece of carpet instead of scotchbrite, when possible, as kinder to the bottom paint
Old 03-05-2008
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dohenyboy View Post
my diver uses a piece of carpet instead of scotchbrite, when possible, as kinder to the bottom paint
They can get away with that in SoCal, where a 3-week schedule keeps the bottom pretty clean. The average dirty bottom up here requires something more.
Old 03-05-2008

Omatako will become famous soon enough
If you're going to dive anyway, take a decent pair of garden gloves and use contact adhesive to stick the abrasive pads to them. Safe over barnacles and you never lose them or have the scotchbrite pad slip away from between your hand and a barnacle when you least want it to.

We have also used a bent aluminium pool cleaning brush handle (3 metres long) with a 10 litre plastic bottle (empty ) fastened to it to press it up agains the hull when we don't want to be in the water.

Be alarmed when the whole slip around your boat changes colour. This is ablative paint coming off in a rush!!

Andre

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.