SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Cleaning bottom in water??? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/41071-cleaning-bottom-water.html)

Stevyboy 03-04-2008 12:13 PM

Cleaning bottom in water???

Howdy there, I'm thinking about making a trip down the California Coast this summer in my Cal 27. I know I'm going to take the boat out and get a bottom job on in before I leave, but I wanted to put on my wetsuit and check out the bottom of my boat while it's in the water for two reasons; to see what I'm really in for before I take the boat out, and to do this for the first time (sounds fun). While I'm in there I was thinking I should give her a good scrub down.
What should I use to scrub the boat down while in the water?

Steve

sailingdog 03-04-2008 12:32 PM

A scotchbrite pad will work if you've got a hard epoxy paint. Plastic putty knife if you've got barnacles. If you've got an ablative...leave it alone.

djodenda 03-04-2008 12:46 PM

When I lived in Marina Del Rey, in Southern, California, I cleaned the bottom of my Catalina 27 myself with just a snorkel, fins, and wet suit. It usually took me about 30 minutes.

My primary weapons were a Scotchbrite pad (with attached plastic handle) and a soft plastic 3" putty knife/scraper.

I found that in the summer, I needed to clean the bottom every month, and every 2 months in the winter.

Mostly, it was a matter of brushing off the slime with the Scotchbrite pad, and using the plastic scraper on the tube worms.

I invested in one of those suction cup - holder - onner thingys, but didn't find it to be of much use.

We look forward to hearing more of your adventure, and hope, and trust that you will do this in the safest possible manner.

chucklesR 03-04-2008 01:08 PM

I have a custom made bent piece of flat bar stock aluminum with scotchbrite pads covering most of its surface - fits my hull curve so I don't have to get in the water (gets cold here in winter). Boat only draws 18 inches so it's simple to dinghy around and scrub it.

sailingdog 03-04-2008 01:11 PM

You can also use a nylon scrub brush, but I think the scotchbrite pad is faster and easier with a hard epoxy paint. Just remember to shower after doing this, since bottom paint is basically a heavy metal poison and you don't want it sitting on your skin or hair.

djodenda 03-04-2008 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 276396)
Just remember to shower after doing this, since bottom paint is basically a heavy metal poison and you don't want it sitting on your skin or hair.

So is the water in Marina Del Rey.

Seriously.

sailingdog 03-04-2008 01:40 PM

The water in most major harbors isn't what I'd call clean. :)

NOLAsailing 03-04-2008 02:32 PM

I use a product called Dry Diver (or maybe Dri-Diver, you'll have to google it). It's a large length of scotchbright pad over a foam float. The float holds the pad against the hull. I keep my bottom very clean for racing and, while it doesn't do as good a job as getting in the water and scrubbing, it makes in-water scrubbing easier and it's great for quickly scrubbing the bottom before a race.

eleuthera 03-04-2008 02:48 PM

I "snorkel" my hull every month or so and use the blue cut to size air filter media for air conditioners. It's less abrasive then scotch brite and I can cut a large piece to hold flat against my hand to cover larger areas. Barnies get the plastic putty knife.

Good Luck!

tjaldur 03-04-2008 05:28 PM

Or you can use the ancient way of keelhauling. Two men pull in turn the same rope, going under the boat and by this clean the boat for barnacles etc.