Cleaning bottom in water??? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 Old 03-04-2008 Thread Starter

Cleaning bottom in water???

Howdy there, I'm thinking about making a trip down the California Coast this summer in my Cal 27. I know I'm going to take the boat out and get a bottom job on in before I leave, but I wanted to put on my wetsuit and check out the bottom of my boat while it's in the water for two reasons; to see what I'm really in for before I take the boat out, and to do this for the first time (sounds fun). While I'm in there I was thinking I should give her a good scrub down.
What should I use to scrub the boat down while in the water?

Steve
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 03-04-2008
Telstar 28

A scotchbrite pad will work if you've got a hard epoxy paint. Plastic putty knife if you've got barnacles. If you've got an ablative...leave it alone.

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #3 of 46 Old 03-04-2008

When I lived in Marina Del Rey, in Southern, California, I cleaned the bottom of my Catalina 27 myself with just a snorkel, fins, and wet suit. It usually took me about 30 minutes.

My primary weapons were a Scotchbrite pad (with attached plastic handle) and a soft plastic 3" putty knife/scraper.

I found that in the summer, I needed to clean the bottom every month, and every 2 months in the winter.

Mostly, it was a matter of brushing off the slime with the Scotchbrite pad, and using the plastic scraper on the tube worms.

I invested in one of those suction cup - holder - onner thingys, but didn't find it to be of much use.

We look forward to hearing more of your adventure, and hope, and trust that you will do this in the safest possible manner.

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
post #4 of 46 Old 03-04-2008

I have a custom made bent piece of flat bar stock aluminum with scotchbrite pads covering most of its surface - fits my hull curve so I don't have to get in the water (gets cold here in winter). Boat only draws 18 inches so it's simple to dinghy around and scrub it.
post #5 of 46 Old 03-04-2008
Telstar 28

You can also use a nylon scrub brush, but I think the scotchbrite pad is faster and easier with a hard epoxy paint. Just remember to shower after doing this, since bottom paint is basically a heavy metal poison and you don't want it sitting on your skin or hair.

Sailingdog

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

post #6 of 46 Old 03-04-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Just remember to shower after doing this, since bottom paint is basically a heavy metal poison and you don't want it sitting on your skin or hair.
So is the water in Marina Del Rey.

Seriously.

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
post #7 of 46 Old 03-04-2008
Telstar 28

The water in most major harbors isn't what I'd call clean.

Sailingdog

Telstar 28
New England

post #8 of 46 Old 03-04-2008

I use a product called Dry Diver (or maybe Dri-Diver, you'll have to google it). It's a large length of scotchbright pad over a foam float. The float holds the pad against the hull. I keep my bottom very clean for racing and, while it doesn't do as good a job as getting in the water and scrubbing, it makes in-water scrubbing easier and it's great for quickly scrubbing the bottom before a race.

-Jason

post #9 of 46 Old 03-04-2008

I "snorkel" my hull every month or so and use the blue cut to size air filter media for air conditioners. It's less abrasive then scotch brite and I can cut a large piece to hold flat against my hand to cover larger areas. Barnies get the plastic putty knife.

Good Luck!
post #10 of 46 Old 03-04-2008

Or you can use the ancient way of keelhauling. Two men pull in turn the same rope, going under the boat and by this clean the boat for barnacles etc.

Use your head, ram the wall till it falls.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.