Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-04-2008
Montgomery 17

Perithead is on a distinguished road
Replacing Rope Clutches?

On my sailboat, I currently have some old rope clutches that I want to replace.

WHen I sail, its mostly myself fiddling with the ropes and I want some sort of rope clutch that doesnt need me to leave the wheel and reach up onto the cabin top to put the clutch or whatever down.

I have cam cleats on either side of my traveler and I like thos how I can just yank the rope out and put it back in from the wheel. This is the kind of deal that I would like instead of my rope clutches.

I would like cam cleats there but I am not sure they will hold up to the load or if they make any other dort of thing to go in place of my clutches.

Does anyone know what I am talking about and have any suggestions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailing Videos, Woodworking Videos and More!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Perithead-

It depends on what the lines are. Lines like sheets, which are adjusted frequently, need to have cam cleats or something similar, so they can be released quickly and adjusted easily. If the lines are reefing lines or halyards, they really should be in line clutches—since they don't need to be adjusted very often. Can you imagine what might happen if the main sail halyard was knocked free by accident while out sailing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-04-2008
Montgomery 17

Sorry, I should have clarified which lines I am talking about.

Currently my main halyard and main sheet are both ran through and old triple rope clutch.

You are right it would be bad if my main halyard came loose accidentally. So, I guess I just want my main sheet in a cam cleat type deal. My only real reason I wouldnt just go ahead and do it is because I am not sure that a cam cleat is made to hold that kind of pressure. My main sheet is ran through several blocks so that might ease the pressure a little bit.

While I am thinking about it, I would also like to replace both standard cleats with cam cleats for my jib sheets. This would make my life much easier and sailing more fun.

Something like this I think.....

Old 03-04-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Perithead-

You really shouldn't have a mainsheet running through a line clutch. That's not a very smart idea, since it means it is much more difficult to "blow" the sheet in the case of a very strong gust of wind—and will end up pinning the boat down to the water because the mainsheet hasn't been released.

A cam cleat is often what is used for mainsheets and jib sheets, although self-tailing winches would make more sense for the jib sheets.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-04-2008
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Clamcleats for your working sheets might be the way to go...

Clamcleats
Old 03-04-2008
Montgomery 17

Well, sounds good then.

SD- I can see where it is bad to have my main sheet in the line clutch. There is one cam cleat on my boat but it is the wrong place. My jib sheets are ran to self tailing winches, but in light airs or during a fast tack I can usually just make one wrap around the winch and pull it myself to where it needs to be then I just cleat it off to a regular cleat. I think I could do the same thing but just with a cam cleat.

Here is a quick picture I found of the type I believe I need.

I think I want the type where it stays in the cleat I think it is called a lead? Am I right? I would like it to stay there when I yank it up and out of the locking position.

What is the difference in the names of these two types of cleats? I think I am getting them confused......

Old 03-04-2008
Telstar 28

The top one is a clam cleat.. .

the bottom one is a cam cleat.

Both of them ones pictured will keep the sheet captive, but you don't want to have a fairlead for the ones you'll be using for your jib sheets, since it complicates getting the line around the winch. However, these would work fairly well for a main sheet.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-04-2008
Montgomery 17

Ah, good point about the jib sheets.

Well, I personally like the cam cleats better, for looks and I think they work better. Is any one better than the other at certain things?

I would think the clam cleats would be cheaper also, am I correct about that?

Old 03-04-2008
Telstar 28

If you can afford them, get the cam cleats. They're a bit more flexible and release more easily IMHO.

Telstar 28
New England