SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   drycleaning foam? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/41107-drycleaning-foam.html)

marcusn 03-05-2008 09:11 PM

drycleaning foam?

Liberating the mildew is the idea. (and the odor)
The foam is from the interior cushions.

Has anyone ever tried it? Is drycleaning a bad idea?

AjariBonten 03-06-2008 08:10 AM

no, and yes.

NO do not dryclean foam (if you could FIND a drycleaner who would do it)

The likelihod is that the foam is not compatible with drycleaning chemicals.

You would be better off trying to replace the foam.

Freesail99 03-06-2008 08:22 AM

I have seen steam used to puff up the foam and clean it. But if you have mildew I get new foam.

duffer1960 03-06-2008 08:38 AM

I removed the covers from all of my cushions and threw them in the washer on gentle cycle using a gentle soap. I then let them air dry. For the foam, I bought one of those plastic kiddie pools and filled it with water and a VERY diluted mixture of bleach and vinegar. Then, one piece at a time, I would thouroughly saturate the foam in the solution then let it soak for 10 or 15 minutes. After soaking, I rang the water out as best as I could and let the foam air dry (this took a few days). The end result was clean, non-smelling cushions.

thekeip 03-06-2008 08:41 AM

You could do what hotels do to reclaim rooms that have been used for smoking, or that car dealers use to freshen their used vehicles...Ozone. It's best to rent a commercial Ozone generator (although you could make one if you were so inclined), and let it operate for an hour or so in a closed space. Ozone can be deadly to humans in high concentrations, so you don't want to be in the same space. When Ozone does it's thing, it removes ALL odor...period.
Howard Keiper
Sea Quest
Berkeley

AjariBonten 03-06-2008 09:02 AM

I didn't know that ozone generators were available to rent. That's a great idea; but I think I would do that after the bleach treatment to thoroughly kill the mildew first.

That, or replace the foam.

sailingdog 03-06-2008 11:13 AM

It is unlikely that you're going to get all the mildew out of the foam... it probably would be healthier and easier, if a bit more expensive to get all new foam. If these are the cushions you'll be sitting on in the boat... get new foam... mold and mildew are a pretty common asthma trigger...and a lot of people are allergic to them.

Maine Sail 03-06-2008 11:27 AM

Btw..

By the way ozone is VERY harmful to rubber, plastics and foam that is why you need to be very vigilant in hose inspection if you run an ozone generator on a boat.

My buddy Seth owns a very high end canvas shop and had a very high end boat that killed the foam in about 18 months. It lost almost all of it's elasticity and was crumbling. This usually takes years and years to happen. After consulting with the foam manufacturer, and sending in a sample, their reply back was "does this boat use an ozone generating machine?"... Enough said...

Ozone can kill odors but also other stuff...